Legal Codecs : Is there any, and where are the best ??

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JariTapio
Level 1
Level 1

Legal Codecs : Is there any, and where are the best ??

Post by JariTapio »

Legal Codecs!

Im wondering, as i dont currently know the future how software patents laws will continue in here up north.

Where i can purchase the best codecs packet for "Linux Mint 10+" and for "Linux Mint - Debian Edition", will there be a need for two seperated codecs pakets ??

I want to ->
Listen net radio ( shoutcast )
Watch my USB TV Stick broadcasts.
Listen my musics, ( flac, mp3 ).
Watch DVD and on future Blue-Ray.

What should i do ??

//.....

Thanks..
craigevil
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Legal Codecs : Is there any, and where are the best ??

Post by craigevil »

I want to ->
Listen net radio ( shoutcast )
Watch my USB TV Stick broadcasts.
Listen my musics, ( flac, mp3 ).
Watch DVD and on future Blue-Ray.
If you are using Gnome there are gstreamer plugins for most of those things that work in Totem or Rhythmbox,Banshee and Exaile., but you still need libdvdcss2 for DVDs. gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3 is in the normal repos or you can download it from
http://www.fluendo.com/shop/product/flu ... 3-decoder/
Issues to be aware of

If you are living in a country where the MP3 patents don't apply, you are entitled to use the source code provided by Fluendo (or anyone else) to get legal MP3 support onto your Unix/GNU/Linux desktop.

In contrast, if you live in a country where patents do apply, or if you are a distribution maker working in countries where the patents apply, you need the licensed binary from Fluendo. If this is the case, please be aware that, even if our binary is made from MIT licensed source code, the resulting binary, combined with our license, is not free software, at least not GPL-compatible. This means that if you ship GStreamer with our binary MP3 plug-in, you need to be sure that you don't ship any GPL-licensed plug-ins that could end up being used together with the MP3 plug-in, as this would be a violation of the GPL. You also need to make sure you don't ship any GPL-licensed players which would use this plug-in.

Fortunately, most GStreamer plug-ins are LGPL, and many of the playback applications come with licensing terms that allow them to be used with non-free plug-ins. The Totem media player and the Banshee music player are two examples.
Mplayer and VLC play just about anything, as does Xine. Realplayer also has a Linux version.

$aptitude search ~ngstreamer

Code: Select all

p   bluez-gstreamer                 - Bluetooth GStreamer support               
p   deejayd-gstreamer               - Deejayd GStreamer backend                 
p   gir1.0-gstreamer-0.10           - Description: GObject introspection data fo
p   gstreamer-tools                 - Tools for use with GStreamer              
i A gstreamer0.10-alsa              - GStreamer plugin for ALSA                 
v   gstreamer0.10-audiosink         -                                           
v   gstreamer0.10-audiosource       -                                           
p   gstreamer0.10-buzztard          - Buzztard - Support plugins for GStreamer  
p   gstreamer0.10-buzztard-doc      - Buzztard - Support plugins for GStreamer (
p   gstreamer0.10-doc               - GStreamer core documentation and manuals  
p   gstreamer0.10-esd               - GStreamer plugin for ESD                  
i A gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg            - FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer               
p   gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg-dbg        - FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer (debug symbols
pi  gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3       - Fluendo mp3 decoder GStreamer plugin      
v   gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegdemux -                                           
v   gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mpegmux   -                                           
p   gstreamer0.10-gnomevfs          - GStreamer plugin for GnomeVFS             
p   gstreamer0.10-gnonlin           - non-linear editing module for GStreamer   
p   gstreamer0.10-gnonlin-dbg       - non-linear editing module for GStreamer   
p   gstreamer0.10-gnonlin-doc       - GStreamer documentation for the non-linear
p   gstreamer0.10-lame              - GStreamer lame plugin                     
p   gstreamer0.10-nice              - ICE library (GStreamer plugin)            
p   gstreamer0.10-pitfdll           - GStreamer plugin for using MS Windows bina
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad       - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set      
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-dbg   - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set (debu
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-doc   - GStreamer documentation for plugins from t
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-base      - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set     
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-apps - GStreamer helper programs from the "base" 
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-dbg  - GStreamer plugins from the "base" set     
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-base-doc  - GStreamer documentation for plugins from t
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-cutter    - Cutter GStreamer plugin                   
v   gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsight  -                                           
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl        - GStreamer plugins from the "gl" set       
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl-dbg    - GStreamer plugins from the "gl" set       
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-gl-doc    - GStreamer documentation for plugins from t
i A gstreamer0.10-plugins-good      - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set     
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-dbg  - GStreamer plugins from the "good" set     
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-good-doc  - GStreamer documentation for plugins from t
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-really-ba - GStreamer plugins from the "bad" set      
i   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly      - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set     
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-dbg  - GStreamer plugins from the "ugly" set (deb
p   gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-doc  - GStreamer documentation for plugins from t
p   gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio        - GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio           
v   gstreamer0.10-schroedinger      -                                           
p   gstreamer0.10-sdl               - GStreamer plugin for SDL output           
p   gstreamer0.10-tools             - Tools for use with GStreamer              
v   gstreamer0.10-videosink         -                                           
v   gstreamer0.10-videosource       -                                           
v   gstreamer0.10-visualization     -                                           
i A gstreamer0.10-x                 - GStreamer plugins for X11 and Pango       
i   gstreamer0.10-x264              - GStreamer x264 plugin
If you mean in a browser, there are browser plugins for different media-players.
mozilla-plugin-vlc
totem-mozilla
mozplugger - Plugin allowing external viewers to be launched inside Mozilla
kaffeine-mozilla
gxineplugin - the xine video player, GTK+/Gnome; launcher plugin for Mozilla
gecko-mediaplayer - Multimedia plug-in for Gecko browsers
For Konqueror:
konqueror-nsplugins - Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
konq-plugins
Debian Sid KDE4.8.4 Kernel 3.4 Thinkpad R40 CPU Pentium M 1.3MHz RAM 2GB ATI Mobility 7500
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
Giant Debian sources.list | Debian upgrade script smxi | sysinfo script inxi
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Legal Codecs : Is there any, and where are the best ??

Post by colyn »

craigevil wrote: but you still need libdvdcss2 for DVDs.
Enable the Medibuntu repo (already enabled by default in Mint) then type libdvdcss2 and check for install. If you are running Mint both libdvdcss2 and w32codecs should already be installed..

You should also install gecko which is gnome mplayer with the gecko plugins for Firefox..

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”