Rhythmbox

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chaos_theory

Rhythmbox

Post by chaos_theory »

Good day,

I have my music collection on an external hard rive and use rhythmbox as my media player. The problem is, sometimes my external HDD is not plugged in and so when I forget to switch it on or plug it in and load rhythmbox it removes all my music. Now with a collection of 100 000+ songs it takes a very long time to reload all these songs (10-20 mins) which is very unpleasant to say the least.

Anyone know how to stop it checking my media? I have disabled watch my folders
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pranaone

Re: Rhythmbox

Post by Pranaone »

uncheck the ipod support plugin.
chaos_theory

Post by chaos_theory »

sadly that didn't do the trick
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

BUMP for a rhythmbox problem.

I run Mint 9 on my PC.
I have an external IOMEGA drive, which I connect to the PC.

The problem is that whenever I open the rhythmbox, it always starts scanning the IOMEGA drive afresh.
This is painful, because I cannot keep my PC on all the time, and neither can I keep the IOMEGA drive powered on and connected all the time.
The complete media scan takes about 30 min to 1 hour.

Why should it happen this way?
Why can't rhythmbox just store the settings and the stuff it found the last timeon the IOMEGA drive?

Ultimately rhythmbox is not copying any media - it is just creating an indexed database - why does it need to re-scan and start from zero everytime?
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Just to elaborate further, I don't get this same problem with Exaile or Clementine. (i.e. they maintain their database and song lists)
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

Ok since no one knows the answer to this:
I haven't found the answer but I have found Quod libet - a player which behaves just like Rhythmbox, albeit faster with database, and the database that stays!
shikmehmet

Post by shikmehmet »

Hey buddy,

Rhythmbox monitors your collection by default, so if you plug it in, i would guess that it wants to go and do its monitoring.

Go to edit, preferences, music, and then uncheck the "watch my library for new files" ,

Try and see if that works, i think it may help.

Cheers
alpha1

Post by alpha1 »

The problem is not that.
The problem is that Rhythmbox does not retain the database it created for external disc - when the external disc was plugged in last time.

I believe its a total non-intuitive behaviour or rhythmbox. But then so are a lot of other linux features ...
Good thing is that there are alternatives available

Return to “Sound”