Flash not working with Youtube {Solved}

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
penguinuser
Level 1
Level 1

Flash not working with Youtube {Solved}

Post by penguinuser » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi

I am using Mint 10 GNOME 64 bit.

I have Firefox 3.6 and Chrome 9 web browsers installed.

My problem is that Flash in Firefox is not working with Youtube and it shows a grey screen in the place where the video should be, but Flash is working fine with other video sites like Daily Motion and Metacafe and with Adobe's Flash player test.

Also Youtube works fine in Chrome.

Please help me fix this.
Last edited by penguinuser on Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/ Good website with reviews and tutorials on Linux
http://www.linfo.org/ Website with information about Linux
My Linux blog: http://techzillax.blogspot.com/

oobetimer
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Flash not working with Youtube but working with other si

Post by oobetimer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Flash Player installation:

1. Open the synaptic package-manager

2. Write flash to the searching-box

3. Install flashplugin-nonfree

4. Click and watch .. :lol:

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:14 pm

This is happening to me too, and has only started happening in the past few days. I've tried using the 32-bit flash through Flash-Aid, but I get the same thing.

Only happens with Youtube. The worst part is that if I open a Youtube video while using something else flash-related(like megavideo), it will crash all the other flash elements in other pages.

This is becoming very tiring. I never thought I'd say this, but I have to switch to Chromium. I've tried the latest 32-bit plugin, the latest 64-bit plugin, the older 64-bit plugin, updating Firefox, etc. Just the same thing. Chromium is able to do it flawlessly.

richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:33 pm

Temporary workaround here . . . until flash gets fixed

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 86#p391310

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:04 am

richyrich wrote:Temporary workaround here . . . until flash gets fixed

I think that's a different problem. That guy says that it causes his monitor to not receive anything.

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:06 am

I think that's a different problem. That guy says that it causes his monitor to not receive anything. Although disabling hardware acceleration could still possibly work.

But I've already pretty much switched completely from Firefox to Chromium. No plugin crashing and flash video runs much smoother in it for some reason.

csmembedded
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csmembedded » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:59 am

I have experienced the same problem with the Flash Player on Chrome,Opera and Firefox when on Youtube. However I discovered that each time I turn on my system (cold boot on my laptop) I find that I can view the Flash video. If I select another video on the same page then that works too. If I look for another topic (i.e. I change the web page to select a different video) the video does not appear BUT I do get the audio. Anybody got any ideas. If not maybe it will help track down the bug.

csmembedded

Sopwith_Camel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sopwith_Camel » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Was having the same problem with Firefox under LM9 (red/pink screen, then crash, on YouTube) - fix worked nicely for me. Cheers for that!

Carpintonto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Carpintonto » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Embedded YouTube videos work in gmail and my own sites. Videos served at youtube.com are set to autoplay, while those videos hosted on youtube but embedded elsewhere are not by default.

Installing flashplugin-nonfree doesn't fix the problem for me running 32 bit Julia with Firefox 3.6.15.
Also, installing flashplugin-nonfree uninstalls mint-flashplugin. Finally, downloading and installing libflashplayer.so per instructions at support.mozilla.com does not fix the problem.

My conclusion is that the problem is not caused by mint-flashplugin.

kotoshy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kotoshy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:22 am

How do you put youtube videos onto windows movie maker? Help! I want to make youtube videos with youtube videos! But i have no clue how to get the videos off of youtube and onto my windows movie maker. Can anyone help me?
Last edited by kotoshy on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:48 pm

I have tried every single flash plugin available in the 10.x series, and I get the same problem with each of them. The flash square preview 1 plugin, which worked with youtube just fine months ago, shows the same problem.

This is most likely an issue with Youtube and not the Flash plugin itself. Well actually it might be both, since it seems like it only happens with Flash in Linux. My guess is that there's a fundamental bug in the Linux flash that hasn't really effected anything, but then Youtube changes the way that their player works in a way that sets off that bug.

Youtube either needs to be notified or we need Adobe to fix this bug. They must not test their Linux version that much, because if I were developing it, the first thing I'd make sure it works with would be Youtube.

Mozenrath
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mozenrath » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:05 pm

Okay guys, I think I figured out what the problem is.

It's a fault in the entire 10.x series of flash plugin so far. I believe that YouTube has made their new video player take advantage of flash's new hardware acceleration feature. For whatever reason, this seems to cause a problem with Linux's flash plugin. This is why the flash plugin works perfectly fine with other sites, but craps out when you are using Youtube.

All you have to do is turn off hardware acceleration in flash. Sadly, flash's settings file is binary( :x ) so you will have to do this manually.

You will have to find a flash file that doesn't have the settings greyed out. For some reason it's greyed out when I use youtube, so in case you can't find one that isn't greyed out, I used Kitten Cannon.

http://gatchel.com/kitten/index.htm

Open Kitten Cannon and right click on the game. In the context menu, click "Settings". Go to the Display tab on the very left and uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration".

Just to be safe, restart your browser and now you should have no problems with flash crashing! Unfortunately this means you won't get hardware acceleration but it's only something you might miss if you use newer flash sites like Youtube that take advantage of the option. Even then, chances are there won't be a difference.

I don't know if this is a real solution yet. For me, I so far haven't had my flash crash with 3 youtube videos running and a flash game. If anything, it at least seems to make it happen less often.

richnbernie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by richnbernie » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:45 pm

That is another reason why I went back to Mint 7 which is doing everything and still have 317 updates which I do not seem to need. You Tube videos work just fine. Download helper 4.8.1 works very well with Mint 7, FF.

rich
FACEBOOK, the privacy thief.

TomRoche
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TomRoche » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:03 pm

Mozenrath wrote:the problem is [due to] a fault in the entire 10.x series of flash plugin so far. I believe that YouTube has made their new video player take advantage of flash's new hardware acceleration feature. For whatever reason, this seems to cause a problem with Linux's flash plugin. This is why the flash plugin works perfectly fine with other sites, but craps out when you are using Youtube.
There are also hardware and browser aspects to the problem: it's not just "the Linux flash plugin." Here's my experience:

Yesterday I put the stock (Ubuntu- and GNOME-based) Julia on 2 boxes, which are both wireless on the same router. The Meerkat Ion has an Atom 330, nVidia GeForce 9400M video, and generic Intel audio. The Starling has an Atom N550, Intel GMA 3150 video, and generic Intel audio. After installing (clean, keeping the /home partition and blasting the root partition), on both boxes I updated and installed package=chromium-browser (et al). Thus both boxes have same Mint, both are up-to-date, and both have same versions of Chromium and Firefox.

Today I get the following matrix when running this youtube channel, which should be pretty high-availability (they're paying for it):
  1. Chromium, Meerkat: I get an error inside the video-playback area regarding AdBlock options. If I goto AdBlock options and uncheck="Block ads inside YouTube videos", I then get normal audio and video. (Plus, after I start video playback, I can go back and block the ads, and restart, and video playback remains normal, minus YouTube ads :-)
  2. Firefox, Meerkat: audio and video normal.
  3. Chromium, Starling: audio and video normal.
  4. Firefox, Starling: nothing. No audio, black rectangle.

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Yes, turning off "Hardware Acceleration" definitely solves the problem...i was having a total "systems crash" in my LMDE when trying to watch the You Tube Videos and that solved it for me too...I think they may have fixed it because just out of curiousity, i re-enabled the "Hardware Acceleration" and no longer experienced the crashing...However, i didn't really notice any visual advantage to leaving it on, so i turned it off again :wink:
I don't know what it is supposed to do, but i don't notice any difference when it is on...In fact, videos seem to play slightly better when it is off (to me anyway)...

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”