What is wrong and how do i do it!

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
llj
Level 1
Level 1

What is wrong and how do i do it!

Post by llj »

As any noob would open up,
I'm new to Linux and I love it. My goal with OS beside learn more about it is to use it as my #1 operating system with a custom build pc. I have researching allot and learned a little. :?

As I learn and before I go full bore on my custom pc i decided to practice on an older machine. I know that most newer desktop are a little more friendly to the Linux system and older one require a little more work to get them the way you want but none the less a learning experiance.

My experimental rat for a machine is the infamous Dell dimension 2400. I finally installed a Asus usb-n13 addapter that was supposably compatible, but some research and newer drivers i finnaly got it going and it's working like a charm. Now....if you ask me how...well thats the bad part, I can't remember. But would gladly re-research it.

Now my next issue and still working on it is that any video I view via youtube are very choppy when using the full screen. In normal screen it seems tolerable. So the "what is wrong" part of my post is "What is wrong"? I have used four of the top browsers and they are all the same. I updated to the latest kernel (2.6.38.1) I updated flash plugins. I have also research and downloaded a possible updated graphic driver. So what did I miss and where do I go from here?

Now the how do I do it part....As I said I downloaded a driver that may be the problem but I do not know how to install it. Like I said I compleatly for got how i diid the wireless driver, if it even the same way to do. So please Help!! :shock:

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: What is wrong and how do i do it!

Post by proxima_centauri »

* Moved to Multimedia & Codecs subforum from Tutorials/Howtos

llj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llj »

proxima_centauri wrote:* Moved to Multimedia & Codecs subforum from Tutorials/Howtos

On my way ....thanks for your reply.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

How much ram do you have in this Dell Dimension? It sounds as if you do not have enough ram to serve as local cache memory for streaming videos. In cases like this, the video will be choppy or completely unviewable as it will constantly be stopping to refill the local cache memory before continuing to play.

Older equipment with slower processors needs more ram to prevent this constant stoppage. Unfortunately, many older systems cannot handle the ram needed so may be almost worthless for streaming video.

Not just older systems either. I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor and even with the ram maxed out at 2 GB, it will not play videos longer than 15 seconds without stopping to refresh the cache.

To play videos reliably, you need a fairly fast processor, a fast internet connection (400 KB/sec or better), and adequate ram.
Registered Linux User 483387

omegaman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by omegaman »

I'm running Mint 10 on a Dell D800, had issues when I first started, with a lot of stuff..lol what helped with the streaming video was getting rid of the proprietary nVidia drivers (they only seem to help with 3D type stuff anyway). Full screen still isn't that great but normal viewing of Utube etc is fine.
Dell D800 1.8 gHz, 2Gb 60 Gb Mint10
http://www.billmecca.com

llj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llj »

Aging Technogeek wrote:How much ram do you have in this Dell Dimension? It sounds as if you do not have enough ram to serve as local cache memory for streaming videos. In cases like this, the video will be choppy or completely unviewable as it will constantly be stopping to refill the local cache memory before continuing to play.

Older equipment with slower processors needs more ram to prevent this constant stoppage. Unfortunately, many older systems cannot handle the ram needed so may be almost worthless for streaming video.

Not just older systems either. I have an Acer Aspire One netbook with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor and even with the ram maxed out at 2 GB, it will not play videos longer than 15 seconds without stopping to refresh the cache.

To play videos reliably, you need a fairly fast processor, a fast internet connection (400 KB/sec or better), and adequate ram.
This is my summery for this machine: Dell Dimension 2400
-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz

Memory : 1024MB (210MB used)

Operating System : Linux Mint 10 LXDE

User Name : owner (owner)

Date/Time : Thu 09 Jun 2011 07:59:07 PM CDT

-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels

OpenGL Renderer : Software Rasterizer

X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

-Input Devices- : Power Button
: Power Button
: 2.4G RF Keyboard & Mouse
: 2.4G RF Keyboard & Mouse

-Printers (CUPS)- : Print_to_PDF

-SCSI Disks-
: ATA Maxtor 6E040L0
: SONY CD-RW CRX216E
: HP DVD Writer 840d

llj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llj »

This is my graphics,

VGA compatible controller:
Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

My opinion, for what it's worth is ...

1. Not enough RAM for streaming video.

2. How is the laptop connected to the internet and what is the average download speed?

Make sure you have a good secure connection and if possible, buy and add more RAM to the laptop.
A new memory-card is not all that expensive, these days.

I bought a new memory-card for my old Gateway ... increased the RAM from 192Mb to 2Gb. ($35) Doesn't even act like the same machine. 8)
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

llj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by llj »

vrkalak wrote:My opinion, for what it's worth is ...

1. Not enough RAM for streaming video.

2. How is the laptop connected to the internet and what is the average download speed?

Make sure you have a good secure connection and if possible, buy and add more RAM to the laptop.
A new memory-card is not all that expensive, these days.

I bought a new memory-card for my old Gateway ... increased the RAM from 192Mb to 2Gb. ($35) Doesn't even act like the same machine. 8)
I will try anything. As I mentioned this is my guinea pig and learning about compatibility with Linux.

Dell Dimesion 2400 is a desktop. how can i check speed? I'm using a wireless usb adapter.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

You can check your internet speed on a site like this one

http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/

If this site does not work for you, Google "Internet Speed test" to find others.
Registered Linux User 483387

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”