[Solved] Firefox won't play MP4 audio streams

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

[Solved] Firefox won't play MP4 audio streams

Post by xenopeek »

I'm unable to playback MP4 audio streams from a favorite website with Firefox, that did work on Ubuntu 11.04.

Using Linux Mint 11 64-bits, fresh install from DVD with all updates applied. That should cover all my codec and plugin needs I thought. Other than loading Ubuntu on VirtualBox and comparing all the codec packages and plugins to see if one is missing on Linux Mint 11, any ideas on how I might fix or diagnose this issue?

As an example a link to the website:
1. Primary link, music should start playing automatically: http://www.preludeklassiekemuziek.nl/st ... ophon.html
2. Secondary link, using a different plugin, but music should start playing automatically again: http://www.preludeklassiekemuziek.nl/st ... hon_B.html

I can get the music to play in VLC, using the stream URL: [url]rtsp://qt1.warpnet.jet-stream.nl/preludecd/apr_11_lully_bellerophon.mov[/url]. But I want it to work in Firefox. What do I do?

Much appreciate if somebody on LM11 can confirm to have same issue with this website, or not.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Re: Firefox won't play MP4 audio streams

Post by rich_roast »

At a guess,

Code: Select all

gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
would contain the plugin you require. I haven't tested this, though.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks. I hope gstreamer0.10-pitfdll is not the problem though... It is not in the Mint repos, and Debian unstable repos only have 32 bits version that won't install because of incorrect architecture.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

It's available from natty universe. If you happen to be on lmde, then that might be an issue. Suggest cross-posting there if that's the case to get their attention.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, I'm on Linux Mint 11 Katya
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Solved! Finally :D

On Ubuntu 11.04 everything works, so after some more digging I see that Firefox on Ubuntu is using Totem plugins for media playback while Firefox on Linux Mint is using Gecko Media Player.

To fix, install the package totem-mozilla (this doesn't in itself change anything), then open Firefox, go to Add-ons > Plugins, and disable the QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.4 (Gecko Media Player).

Problem solved, and all QuickTime content is now playing properly with QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6 (Totem) instead.

Return to “Sound”