No sound??

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Noob

No sound??

Post by Noob »

Hello
Iv installed Linux Mint and am just having a go at the world of linux and hopefully i can eventually stop using windows...Now iv just got one little problem...I cant get sound to work...The sound built into the motherboard does not work so i have a PCI sound card installed and it was working with windows( and Ubuntu 6.06 before)...Iv messed arround with all the sound settings and havnt gotten anywhere...in the 'Sound Preferences' two of the listed devices makes a beeep sound when i click test...but i dont get any sound when playing an mp3 file....any help?...also the visual effects settings seem a littel buggy and dont turn on properly and most of the 'help' buttonsdont work for some reason...someone please help...

thanx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No sound??

Post by nick »

Hi

First, a little bit of information about your computer
would be helpful.

Can you give specifications?

Also open terminal and type lspci and cut and paste output

Nick
Noob

Post by Noob »

ok...well its a celleron D 2.66Ghz, 1GB RAM, Nvidia GeForce2 MX/MX400, 80GB harddrive with like 25GB partitioned for Linux Mint...and also about that appearance thing...the 'Extra' visual effects dont turn on when i go to it from the 'Normal' setting but when i do it from 'None', it works perfectly...and heres the output from the terminal:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P DRAM Controller/Host-Hub Interface (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82865G/PE/P PCI to AGP Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
02:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 06)
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Have you turned off the onboard souncard in the Bios?

also see:
http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=1515

The visual effects I will have a go later its Xmas eve amd I'm off out!!!!!!!!!

Happy Xmas -Nick
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bobpur »

I'm not much more than a noob myself but here goes...
First of all, it looks like you have two sound devices in your computer. Get rid of one. If you're not proficient enough to go tromping through your computers BIOS then remove the sound card. If your speaker connections on your sound card or motherboard are colorcoded then plug into the light green one (if you're using 2.1 speakers). If you're using bigger than 2.1 speakers, plugging into the light green plugin should get sound out of the front your leads are colorcoded too).
Next, check to see that, whichever you're using, is what is showing in the sound devices window (I forget the exact terminology).You should have sound.
Be prepared for a re-install of the OS if the above doesn't fix you're problem. The two sound device conflict may have botched up the works requiring a re-install to sort things out. Walk-on-Water Linux Gurus may have another, less bothersome fix, that is unknown to me.
I have used both AC 97 and the Ensoniq based sound cards in linux and they both work out of the box. I believe that getting rid of the conflict will relieve your problem.
As for video, that card may not have the horsepower to run the extra effects. I have a PNY Verto video card with that chipset that I haven't used in a while due to a bad fan on the GPU. I may be wrong. That card is, probably, 7 or 8 years old. Probably, a 2X/4X AGP card. You, may still find a replacement at http://www.newegg.com with a little more horsepower to fix your problem. If your motherboard will handle a 4X/8X AGP video card, this will open up your options condsiderably.
The other stuff not working is beyond me. With those problems and the soundcard issues, I'd check the checksums on my install disk and re-install the OS once I found out I had a good disk. Again, the Walk-on-Water Linux Gurus, probably, have an easier fix:) :)

Good Luck!

Return to “Sound”