Youtube problems [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BigSteve_G

Youtube problems [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

Sorry if someone else has already posted this (I did check) but I was just woundering if anyone else was having problems playing youtube videos?

Since installing Mint 11 I've noticed that when watching youtube video's they some times seem to just stop halfway & then just refuse to play. I've also tried on my laptop running Mint 8 & same thing, then I find that when running either Mint 11 or 8 clicking on a video in facebook tells me I haven't got Flash installed when I have.

Any ideas anyone?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Youtube problems

Post by richyrich »

If you are using Firefox, install the Flash-Aid addon . . worked wonders for me ! :)
Remove conflicting flash plugins from Ubuntu/Debian Linux systems, install the appropriate version according to system architecture and apply some tweaks to improve performance and fix common issues.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... flash-aid/
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

Thanks just tried & now it plays more of the video but stops near the end.

Have you tube changed something?
minty33

Post by minty33 »

not sure wich version you installed but my katya came with an option under sound and video in the menu to install all 3rd party plugins and codecs for multimedia also under administration it had an option for install full dvd software. after that and running updates i never had a problem with media at all. but if you don't see this then you need plugins codecs ect.. maybe . if you did this then i can't imagine why it wouldn't work unless its a ram issue and is just freezing/buffering because you run out of ram. are you running alot of other memory intensive stuff while watching or using allot of your bandwidth downloading torrents. i know if transmission is downloading alot of torrents it can slow down browser and even freeze it or get a server not found error from timing out. i got my cd version of katya from linux identity magazine they might have that iso avail at www.linuxidentity.com it was a cd version not the full dvd version but flash won't be on either by default.
MarkMT

Post by MarkMT »

I also have the same facebook issue on katya - for videos hosted on both youtube and facebook. It's asking for 11.1.102.55 and Firefox is reporting 10.3 d162. I've done upgrades in the past with ubuntu, but it seems like this maybe works differently with mint since flash doesn't appear in the mozilla/plugins directory. Synaptic shows the latest version of mint-flashplugin-square is 10.3.162.29 is installed. What's the right way to upgrade flash in mint?
minty33

Post by minty33 »

o.k if your not updated then here is a link on how to update flash it works i followed it originally. i have tried it with katya with no probs. http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=84993

also your java is probably out of date also so read read this thread i started and follow the instructions there and its links this was a little trickier but the old jre was apparently exploitable and sun(now oracle) strongly recommends updating as youll see when you do the olugin check on the first link i provided for flash update. post back if it worked or didn't.
good luck
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

What a performance!

I had tried using Mint 12 but it didnt like my on-board graphics card resulting in fallback mode which I didn't like, Mint 11 I had already had issues with (videos would just hang 1/2 way), Mint 10 will play the videos but then hang near the end - so in the end I'm back with Mint 10 until I have the money for a AGP card & Mint 13 (which will be a LTS edition is out)

Then to muddle the waters a little more, I try again today & the videos are stopping half way so I check a few settings on my router & view the events log (showed the internet connection had been down a bit) when the wireless link drops out (while saying connected), get it back in time to see my brother (who lives just around the corner) post on facebook about his Internet connection keeps getting dropped, retry youtube (Katie Perry (dont ask I couldnt think of any other songs at the time) & it sticks mid-way, try a latin trance video & plays perfect so then I tried the Katie one again & it sticks - then on the off chance I use an agent switch in Firefox to ID my system as a Win XP system running IE7 = video plays, switch back to default (Linux with Firefox) = plays perfect

So long & short of it is I'm not sure where the problem lays - could even be interference causing data corruption :?:
minty33

Post by minty33 »

yea that's an odd scenario you lay out. your guess is as good as any about the interface it could be your on-board graphics card's driver for linux except for the fact you say after a user agent switch it works after switching back. unless whatever user agent loads into ram is still being used while in the current session even though you switched back. i don't even know if it uses modules loaded into ram for user agent but i'm taking a wild stab so don't assume i know what i'm talking about on that. i don't use user agent switch but i've been meaning to try it for my financial aid website that requires windows just to see if it works. i don't think it will work in my case since ff is not the problem according to them its the OS needs to be windows as strange as that sounds its true because ff works on the site if ff is running on windows but ff from linux even totally updated says incompatable browser. and customer service said that linux doesn't work on their network. which again i don't get.
BigSteve_G

Post by BigSteve_G »

minty33 wrote:i don't use user agent switch but i've been meaning to try it for my financial aid website that requires windows just to see if it works. i don't think it will work in my case since ff is not the problem according to them its the OS needs to be windows
- There is a user agent switcher addon for firefox (although I forget the name) that lets you set it to report a different OS as well as browser.

As for the youtube problem I dont know where the problems lays (although I suspect it was a mixture of things)
minty33

Re: Youtube problems [SOLVED]

Post by minty33 »

ok thanx i was wondering if it reported a diff OS or Browser. if its an OS like you say my prob should be solved. in theory anyway. i'll try and update soon.
BigSteve_G

Re: Youtube problems [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

Found it, its called 'user agent switcher' = https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -switcher/ & checked it with http://aruljohn.com/details.php

Selecting internet explorer 6 is IE6 on Win XP, 7 is IE7 on Windows Vista & 8 is IE8 it just says Windows but the build is NT6.1 which I think is Win7.

I suppose if you wanted something more custom you could grab the details you want from the 2nd site I mentioned & create your own user agent

Return to “Sound”