Java not working after update

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tymeric
Level 1
Level 1

Java not working after update

Post by tymeric »

Hi
I'm running Mint 11 and have just installed the 3 java updates as indicated in Update manager this morning.

sun java6 plugin 6.26 natty1
sun java6 bin 6.26 natty1
sun java6 jre 6.26 natty1

I've rebooted but java is now not working.

is there an easy way to return to the older version of Java or to fix the current update ?

Thanks in advance

Tymeric
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Java not working after update

Post by AlbertP »

You can uninstall the packages, and then look them up in Package Manager. Somewhere in the menu is 'force version' where you can force them back to the original version, to install them again.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

yeah forcing the old version works if you are willing to risk the vulnerability they disabled the plugin to prevent.

alternatively, please read post #2 of this thread to update manually to Sun Java 6 Update 30 and above in future:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=89054

it isn't a simple click and install but neither is it too complicated to work through.
tymeric
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tymeric »

Many thanks for the replies. Java is up and running again

The link that you sent is my kind of instruction.....like me......simple :D

Cheers

Tymeric
antikythera

Post by antikythera »

you're welcome. I googled and found those instructions after the updates to newer builds ended on the official repositories with update 26. now they (Ubuntu/Canonical upstream from Mint) have hobbled the browser plugin for security reasons as well they are really forcing us to take matters into our own hands here and deal with it manually.

gotta love the hands on experience, at least you get to see how stuff works this way. First computer I owned relied on command lines in BASIC for everything and programs ran from tapes or 3" floppy diskettes.

the first proper GUI based operating system was a Xerox one and I saw it in the bank my Dad worked in. There was no way a home user could afford that machine back then.

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”