No mp4 with VLC in Mint 12

Questions about codecs, DVD playback, web plugins...
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Prikkebeen
Level 1
Level 1

No mp4 with VLC in Mint 12

Postby Prikkebeen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:04 pm

I have no audio when playing mp4 video (be it .mp4 or .mov) with VLC. The codec info from VLC says it's MPEG AAC. The same files play well with Totem or Mplayer. Does someone have a solution for that? I have tried to use ALSA instead of Pulse but no success.
I really need VLC player.

kc1di
Level 10
Level 10

Re: No mp4 with VLC in Mint 12

Postby kc1di » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:06 pm

Prikkebeen wrote:I have no audio when playing mp4 video (be it .mp4 or .mov) with VLC. The codec info from VLC says it's MPEG AAC. The same files play well with Totem or Mplayer. Does someone have a solution for that? I have tried to use ALSA instead of Pulse but no success.
I really need VLC player.

Can't duplicate your problem here mp4's playing fine in VLC. Have you tried more than one mp4? could be a bad download.
John 3:16
Morse code an Early Digital Mode
Registered Linux User #462608
Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2082305&p=12350385#post12350385
Good terminal command tutorial: https://ryanstutorials.net/linuxtutorial/

Prikkebeen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Prikkebeen » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:21 pm

I have tried different files. Even on my other laptop they do not play with Mint 12 and VLC. I tried a few in a Windows virtual machine with VLC on my main laptop and it played well.

Prikkebeen
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Re: No mp4 with VLC in Mint 12

Postby Prikkebeen » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:14 pm

It is solved. I read somewhere else on the board (viewtopic.php?f=90&t=87435) that the same problem was solved by uninstalling VLC with softwaremanager and then reinstall it from getdeb.net. It works fine now on .mov and .mp4 and the .avi etc. files.

rykel98
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rykel98 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 am

I am unable to play sound from a .mp4 movie file at all, whether it is Movie Player Totem, VLC or GNOME MPlayer.

My Linux Mint 12 is vanilla install and sound works for all other applications.

joseywales
Level 1
Level 1

Postby joseywales » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Same thing/problem here, default install of LM 12 (64-bit) and there is no sound coming from my PC while trying to watch a DVD. I tried the default player (Totem) and then tried VLC, but neither one produced any audio. I have no idea why this is occurring, but I'm a relative newbie with Linux so I'm hoping someone else can help me/us resolve this problem.

joseywales
Level 1
Level 1

Postby joseywales » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:47 pm

joseywales wrote:Same thing/problem here, default install of LM 12 (64-bit) and there is no sound coming from my PC while trying to watch a DVD. I tried the default player (Totem) and then tried VLC, but neither one produced any audio. I have no idea why this is occurring, but I'm a relative newbie with Linux so I'm hoping someone else can help me/us resolve this problem.

I ended up figuring it out, at least to the point that I now have sound, shortly after posting the inquiry. I tinkered with the Sound Settings by clicking on the speaker icon in the upper right hand corner of my screen (your layout may be different depending on which version LM your using). All I needed to do (going off of memory here so there's my disclaimer) was select my soundcard as the output source, then select the appropriate output format (for me it was 4.1). Then I had sound.

That being said it's still not utilizing my soundcard to its fullest ability, as the sound I'm getting is far inferior to the sound I was able to get when I had Windows 7 64-bit installed. I'm not sure if there is an X-Fi driver available for LM but I will be checking, because as I said I do have sound but it's just nowhere close to being as clear and dynamic and I was able to achieve back when I was able to install the Creative X-Fi soundcard driver under Windows.

Hope that helps anyone looking for a way to get (somewhat acceptable) sound using LM 12.

Regards'

joseywales

Return to “Sound, Multimedia, & Codecs”