Greened out Videos

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
b0ng0

Greened out Videos

Post by b0ng0 »

I have noticed that sometimes, when I play video files (avi, mpeg, mp4, etc.) that I get sound but the whole clip is green. To fix this I need to restart X. What could be causing this? I know it's linux mint, but I like my movies free from mint's greeness :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Greened out Videos

Post by antiquexray »

b0ng0 wrote:I have noticed that sometimes, when I play video files (avi, mpeg, mp4, etc.) that I get sound but the whole clip is green. To fix this I need to restart X. What could be causing this? I know it's linux mint, but I like my movies free from mint's greeness :wink:
I don't know the answer to your problem, but it sounds similar to one I have on occasion. I'll get mostly a green screen with large, pixelated portions of the DVD trying to play.
b0ng0

Post by b0ng0 »

Yeah. I was just trying to show my friend a video and (this being the second time it has happened since I installed Mint) all video files (including streaming ones) just appear as pure green but the sound plays perfectly. Now maybe this is to do with updates because I tend to not restart my computer that often. But still, it's a little annoying to restart X just to watch a video.
phantommaggot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by phantommaggot »

i think every version of linux has this problem
no matter what ive tried, some of my vid files never work right. they come up half green, or the clolr all blown out, and usually the sound is distorted some way..

its one of the problems that keeps me in XP. (macs are way too expensive)
catweazle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by catweazle »

I had this also so now and then. I also had system freezes.
This disappeared when I downgraded the nvidia-driver from the default 100. ... type to the 96.43 driver (with envy).
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

catweazle wrote:I had this also so now and then. I also had system freezes.
This disappeared when I downgraded the nvidia-driver from the default 100. ... type to the 96.43 driver (with envy).
thanks Catweazle!!

I too had the "green garble" playing video's at times.
and on rare occasion a system freeze at random.
I took your advise and downgraded my nvidia driver to the 96.43 driver
and it seems to have cured both the green screens and the system freezes!!(so far anyway)

Thanks again,

Deadguy
Fred

Post by Fred »

Aren't proprietary drivers wonderful! :-)

Fred
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Fred wrote:Aren't proprietary drivers wonderful! :-)

Fred
@Fred,

Indeed they are!! :lol:

Return to “Sound”