No HDMI Audio with unpriviledged user

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ardichoke

No HDMI Audio with unpriviledged user

Post by ardichoke »

I'm having an odd issue which I have been unable to figure out so far. I use Mint 12 on my HTPC, which has a Radeon 5450. I use HDMI to connect it to my TV. Currently, I have 2 accounts, a password protected one with sudo access (the standard account that was setup during install) and another account (media) that can't sudo, and is only in the following groups:

cdrom audio video plugdev nopasswdlogin pulse pulse-access media

Using the account with admin access, everything works fine. I get audio through HDMI as expected. When using the "media" account, I can't get audio through HDMI to work. Audio works through the standard sound card, but that's not really helpful. I would really like to be able to use the media as I don't like leaving any system on my network logged into a credentialed account (I'm a bit security paranoid).

Is there something obvious (or not so obvious for that matter) that I'm missing?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kikito
Level 1
Level 1

Re: No HDMI Audio with unpriviledged user

Post by Kikito »

You could try checking in the Audio icon, Sound Settings options. From there head to the Hardware tab and see if the "Settings for the selected device are in any that has "HDMI Output". It's happened to me often that the OS doesn't immediately recognize when I plug in through HDMI and I have to set it manually through that menu.
ardichoke

Re: No HDMI Audio with unpriviledged user

Post by ardichoke »

I did check all of that. The settings look good, exactly the same as the settings in the working account. I wish it were so simple!

Return to “Sound”