Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kenceb
Level 1
Level 1

Issues with AMD graphics card and drivers

Postby kenceb » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:14 pm

Hello, all. I am running Linux Mint 18.1. I am running into an issue in which my system is not recognizing my GPU (AMD Radeon R7 265) and is instead using Intel integrated graphics. After some research, I have figured out that the best possible course of action is to install the drivers for the graphics card. Much easier said than done. Here is what I have attempted to do:

I tried to install fglrx, both through the terminal and directly downloading the package from the Ubuntu repository. The terminal method resulted in an error "Package 'fglrx' has no installation candidate." The download from the repository simply did not have any way to install and did not appear in the driver manager.

I tried to install proprietary drivers from AMD. The driver's compressed package was corrupted, so I attempted to install an older package. Upon installation, it told me my OS was not supported. I then tried a generic Linux x86 installer for the driver, which told me my graphics adapter was not supported.

I'm plain and simply stuck. Any suggestions and help are much appreciated.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Issues with AMD graphics card and drivers

Postby Citizen229 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am

Scroll up and click the graphics card section, then read the sticky at the top
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

Return to “Hardware Support”