Telstra 4G Modem shows up as a " storage device ".

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Telstra 4G Modem shows up as a " storage device ".

Post by Pierre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:25 am

like JeremyB said - - can you use Network Manager:
- - is the Auto Ethernet showing any connection :?:
( mine does, when it's connected via it's Charger / usb port / tether ) ( both do, actually )

if you had an working WiFi available, then it should be under the section "WiFi Network" ?.
ie: TPPW4G_YNT5 :?:
where mine, do show up.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am

Ernie000 wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:15 am
Pierre wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:59 am
and Ernie - - hasn't stated which Telstra 4G Modem that is in use - - there is a few of them, available these days.
Hi Pierre , its a Telstra " 4G Advanced Pro X " .

Connected by a usb cable.

I think there is a bit of confusion here.

As per https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj4RaH_hUUo - Huawei E5786 speed test (= Telstra 4G Wifi Advanced Pro X) and https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/ ... rguide.pdf , the device is a stand-alone battery-powered or AC wall outlet-powered 4G Wifi/Wireless modem-router.

EDIT: The users can connect their Wifi-capable devices, eg desktops, laptops, smartphones, Chromecast, Roku, etc, normally to the Huawei E5786/Telstra 4G Wireless router for their Internet via Wifi or directly via the USB/microUSB cable connection(supported in Windows/MacOS only). The USB/microUSB cable connection can also be used for a computer to access an optional microSD card that has been slotted into the router for external storage - this feature may be Windows/MacOS only. The microSD card can also be accessed by most Wifi-capable devices via Wifi(eg a Linux computer also)
Using a memory card
To use the device as a portable storage drive insert a microSDHC card up to 32GB:
• Slide in the memory card as shown until it clicks, then replace back cover.
• Connect the wireless device to your computer using the USB cable supplied and the memory card will
display as an external drive.
• To remove memory card, push in card until it clicks and pops out .

IOW, the OP should just power up the Telstra/Huawei 4G Wireless modem-router, either via battery power or the external AC adapter charger(to AC wall outlet), and use his/her LM computer to connect to the 4G router via Wifi by enabling Wifi and entering the default Wifi password on his/her computer or smartphone.
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 7 times in total.

HAWR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HAWR » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:25 am

Perhaps it is advisable to point out again that the modem is listed as a storage device on it, which probably prevents it from being addressed correctly by the system. That's why I posted a link above:

https://rnavagamuwa.com/open-source/set ... on-ubuntu/

Of course, it is just as advisable to wait for ernie000's feedback first.

Ernie000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ernie000 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 am

Thank you all for your help.

I`m not at home at the moment , to access the PC , so will get back to you as soon as I can.

A call out to Michael (Louwe) :

What you say about the modum / Router is right ,
but the odd thing is , that my windows Hewlet Packard PC does not connect to the wifi internet either , until I plug it ( the modum/router ) in via that usb
cable.

Thanks again all , I promise to get back to you all as soon as I am able.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:04 am

Ernie000 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:59 am
What you say about the modum / Router is right ,
but the odd thing is , that my windows Hewlet Packard PC does not connect to the wifi internet either , until I plug it ( the modum/router ) in via that usb cable.
EDIT: Seems, the 4G Wireless modem-router also allows the PC to connect to 4G Internet data directly via the microUSB/USB cable but is not supported in Linux = not plug-n-play or not working out-of-the-box.
....... Normal Internet connection from the 4G router to devices is via Wifi.
Ensure that your HP PC is Wifi-capable, ie has a Wifi adapter card installed inside. In Win 7, check this by going to >Control Panel > System and Security >Device Manager >Network Adapters or ... >My Computer >Properties >Hardware >Device Manager >Network Adapters. See if there is a Wifi device(Wireless).
....... Not all desktop PCs are Wifi-capable = buy a USB Wifi adapter = a low-end TP-Link one for Windows/MacOS costs only about US$5 to US$10. There are only a limited number of USB Wifi adapters that are Linux-compatible or plug-n-play or work ootb, eg Panda.
P S - This similar Prolink 4G Wireless modem-router is supported in Linux. ....... https://prolink2u.com/product/prt7011l/
Last edited by michael louwe on Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 am, edited 5 times in total.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 pm

I am running a Hellstra modem, and, yes, it does show up as a storage device. I just ignore it, as it works for me. (I just wish that it had a few more wired ports on it.)
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Ernie000
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ernie000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 am

Hi again everyone .
I finally got back home today , and started the trusty Optiplex .
I got the Linux desktop ( well , most of it anyway , not all icons appeared ) , and then it just crashed.

Brand new hard drive , and ISO with perfect hash checks . Nothing even updated or changed , (as you know I`m not even internet connected ) .

I suppose I`ll just mark this down to experience , go back to Windoze , and put up with it like most .

Thank you all for your assistance you have all been great.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 am

Ernie000 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 am
suppose I`ll just mark this down to experience , go back to Windoze , and put up with it like most .
For additional info, https://www.siliceo.es/en/las-5-best-so ... uter-wifi/ - Top 5 solutions to share 3g/4g mobile Internet with a WiFi router
http://www.zelect.in/router/what-is-the ... -in-router - What is the use of USB in router?
https://www.newegg.com/culink-k1-ieee-8 ... 00CD-00020 - Unlocked 300Mbps 4G LTE Wireless Router; 3G Mobile Wifi Hotspot Router; SIM Card Slot; 2.4G Wireless; CPE Bridge with LAN Port; Support 32 wifi Users up to 3000 square Meters; Long Wifi Coverage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xstxfv28k - How to make calls on Huawei 4G router B525

It is best to use the Telstra 4G modem-router via Wifi connection to your Wifi-capable devices.
....... Such non-mainstream Internet 3G/4G over-the-air modem-routers are often supported in Windows/MacOS only.(= vs mainstream fixed broadband modem-routers that use fibre-optic cable connections over land)
Last edited by michael louwe on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:31 am

G'day Ernie,

before go go back, to Windows, do try again, with an New LinuxMint Installation onto that New Drive:
- - coz in my experience, any Linux Installation is far easier than any Windows Installation, has ever been.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:39 am

Ernie000 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:35 am
finally got back home today , and started the trusty Optiplex .
I got the Linux desktop ( well , most of it anyway , not all icons appeared ) , and then it just crashed.
Most likely, LM was borked when you tried to get LM on the Wifi-incapable Dell Optiplex to Internet-connect to the Telstra/Huawei 4G Wireless/Wifi modem-router via USB/microUSB cable.
....... If you have a Timeshift snapshot(or restore point) saved, you can try doing a Timeshift system restore/recovery with a Live LM USB/DVD.

Return to “Hardware Support”