Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
drpeppercan
Level 3
Level 3

Is my Intel Optain memory used by Mint?

Post by drpeppercan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:25 am

Windows uses it as a cache to speed up HDD processes. Does Mint do this by default?
If so, is there a way to confirm it?

Thanks guys

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Is my Intel Optain memory used by Mint?

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:30 am

Not by default, no. And in a dual boot it won't work that way at all because Intel's Windows software requires the controller to be in RAID mode, at which point it will not expose the Optane memory card to the Linux kernel anymore.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

drpeppercan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drpeppercan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 pm

I see. I can understand that once Windows makes use of it, Linux could/should not make use of it too.
Then, if I were to make Windows not to use it, how could Linux make use of it?

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm

drpeppercan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 pm
Linux sees it as a regular block device, so you can install Mint into that drive as if it was an SSD, for example. If you want to use it the same way Windows uses it then you should use something like the Linux Kernels block layer cache (bcache) or the upcoming bcachefs (not in the release kernel yet). See e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bcache on how to set it up (that's from Arch Linux' wiki but it's mostly the same, otherwise google for an Ubuntu guide).

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 pm

gm10 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm
drpeppercan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 pm
Linux sees it as a regular block device, so you can install Mint into that drive as if it was an SSD, for example. If you want to use it the same way Windows uses it then you should use something like the Linux Kernels block layer cache (bcache) or the upcoming bcachefs (not in the release kernel yet). See e.g. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bcache on how to set it up (that's from Arch Linux' wiki but it's mostly the same, otherwise google for an Ubuntu guide).
Won't that break Windwoes?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:03 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:42 pm
Won't that break Windwoes?
If Windows isn't using Optane? I don't think so, should be just another "unknown filesystem" for Windows, shouldn't it? But I cannot say I ever tried dual booting such a setup so I may be wrong - why do you think it would break?

I did a very cursory web search on "dual boot bcache" to see if I'm missing the obvious but while that turned up nothing, one of the results was this nice walkthrough for OP on how to set up bcache on Ubuntu, probably better than the arch link I gave previously:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1108547 ... -on-ubuntu
(you don't need a separate swap partition as in that post though, Linux Mint defaults to a swap file, which it creates automatically)

Return to “Hardware Support”