Is my old motherboard no longer compatible with Linux Mint w/ kernel 5.x?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mindfulmint
Level 1
Level 1

Is my old motherboard no longer compatible with Linux Mint w/ kernel 5.x?

Post by mindfulmint »

I have an old computer tower with a GA-945GCM-S2L Gigabyte motherboard in it. I've used Linux Mint for many years on it without a problem. Love how I can save money and the planet by re-using older hardware.

But after upgrading from 19.2 to 19.3 with Kernel 5.0, it doesn't work. At book, kernel error screen with not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block, etc.

It does this on both a newly created live 19.3 USB Mint, in addition to my existing in-place upgraded 19.3 Mint on my internal SSD.

I have the latest BIOS version on the board, Version F8d c. 2011.

I thought Linux was famous for being backwards compatible. Is my motherboard just no longer compatible with kernel 5.x? Do I have to get newer hardware now?

I can select kernel 4.x via the boot options screen and still use Mint 19.3, but I don't like being behind the times software-wise, e.g. for security reasons.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Is my old motherboard no longer compatible with Linux Mint w/ kernel 5.x?

Post by RIH »

The 4.15 kernel series is fully supported until April 2023.
The newer kernel (5.x) tend to be geared towards supporting newer hardware rather than providing extra security over a lower supported series.

If it were me, I would load up the latest 4.15 series (74) & consider my options again nearer April 2023.. :D
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-76-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mindfulmint wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm
I can select kernel 4.x via the boot options screen and still use Mint 19.3, but I don't like being behind the times software-wise, e.g. for security reasons.
If you want to run 19.x then you have no choice but to use the lower versioned kernel if it works. Your machine is probably better suited to being on display in an archaeological museum than it is suited to running a modern, leading edge operating system. That said, the 4.15 kernel is long-term support (LTS) so it has a few years left in it. You can install LM 19.2 with kernel 4.15 then upgrade to 19.3. The upgrade will retain the 4.15 kernel from LM 19.2.

This is just a personal note about me, not about you. I cannot fathom how it is that people expect ye golden olden days computerised boat anchors and door stops to run smoothly with a modern, leading edge operating system, yet there it is... far too much expectation.

Your other alternative is to do some google research and find an OS geared specifically towards old hardware.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

mindfulmint
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mindfulmint »

Yeah, I don't mind keeping up with the times - certainly on the software side, again, for security - but OK, that's interesting, thanks for the heads up.

TIL: Just because the Linux kernel supports slow and tiny 'micro' hardware does not mean it also supports old hardware.

Kadaitcha Man
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

mindfulmint wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:48 pm
TIL: Just because the Linux kernel supports slow and tiny 'micro' hardware does not mean it also supports old hardware.
That's quite true. There has been a concerted effort in the last year to actively remove support for a significant chunk of various old hardware in the kernel.
It's kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob »

mindfulmint wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:47 pm
... I thought Linux was famous for being backwards compatible.....
Actually there's really very little backwards (or forwards) compatibility in Linux. That's why you don't generally get the newest versions of software in long term support distros like Mint.

As mentioned you should be using the 4.15 kernel, there has been a ton of pruning of support for old hardware in newer Linux releases. Note this is happening at the kernel level. The Linux kernel project is a separate project that nevertheless affects all Linux distros.

ckonn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ckonn »

have read around about the linux kernel but not found the answer of a very generic question.
hope here someone can help:
do the different kernel versions have different number of parameters or the number of kernel-parameters in all kernel
versions is one and the same?
suppose the number of kernel-parameters in the different kernel versions is different, but not sure.

Return to “Hardware Support”