Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: SATA controller card insanity

Post by ciresmis »

After a small eternity, I finally got my new motherboard. I installed 8.1 and so far things are going well. I will work on installing the software and hardware I need this week, and then I will get back to Linux. In the meantime, maybe someone can shed light on the following post-8.1 issue.

At one point in time, I was testing several of the hard drives. All of them can be read except one, and that is the drive Linux is installed on. I accidentally left it plugged into my adapter (Kingwin USI-2535) and my adapter plugged into the USB port upon a reboot, and Linux started. Shouldn't I be able to read this drive using this Kingwin device? This is not normal behavior for a main Linux drive, is it?

Anyway, I am hoping to have the hardware issues resolved within a few days and Linux back up and running by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the help and advice these past few weeks. I am grateful.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:20 am
After a small eternity, I finally got my new motherboard. I installed 8.1 and so far things are going well. I will work on installing the software and hardware I need this week, and then I will get back to Linux. In the meantime, maybe someone can shed light on the following post-8.1 issue.

At one point in time, I was testing several of the hard drives. All of them can be read except one, and that is the drive Linux is installed on. I accidentally left it plugged into my adapter (Kingwin USI-2535) and my adapter plugged into the USB port upon a reboot, and Linux started. Shouldn't I be able to read this drive using this Kingwin device? This is not normal behavior for a main Linux drive, is it?

Anyway, I am hoping to have the hardware issues resolved within a few days and Linux back up and running by the end of the week.

Thanks for all the help and advice these past few weeks. I am grateful.
So you've installed Linux, (after Windows). on a separate USB-2.0 to Sata adapter/drive-(Kingwin USI-2535)?
Windows can NOT see ext4 Linux partitions, (within Windows testing tools), and never has been able too.

But again, this is not yet a Linux issue, so in Windows is ALL your hardware issues found and everything is ok?
The point is, don't worry about LinuxMint for now, you should be able to configure all your needs in Windows first, irrespective of Linux, for the time being.
(and as mentioned before, by @antikythera, you should probably upgrade from Win8.1 -> Win10, it's FREE, since Win8.* will be an unsupported dodo bird in a couple more years).

Anyway,
since you have a new MB, ..., then (within a bootable LinuxMint 20) please post your existing HW configuration output,(including all attached drives, ...) with:

Code: Select all

sudo inxi -Fxzm
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

When Linux was running, it could not see this drive either. That is why I have asked in the past if I am supposed to. I have assumed I should have been able to access this Linux drive with Linux running the show or even later when the actual physical drive was accessed using the Kingwin. Neither of these I can do. I can boot up and since I have my USB port as my second boot device, it loaded Linux from the Kingwin that day. However, I still cannot access this drive using Nemo. I was going to just copy the contents of the entire drive, but I cannot do that. I can grab things in their individual folders - Downloads, Document, Pictures, Videos, etc. - but I cannot go down to Devices and see the drive there. Maybe this is a remnant of my original problem. Or maybe this is normal behavior in Linux. I don't know.

Yes, I am getting all the hardware working first before I reinstall Linux. I will need to get all the files I can off that Linux drive first and have them ready. Lucky for me there aren't that many. I do have a brand new drive for this purpose. All in all, my 8.1 is running well. No issues. I used a brand new drive for 8.1 as well. I will run the configuration you requested later this week, maybe tonight, but I will not officially install Linux probably until this weekend. I still have my video card to install and a few minor installs - USB, etc.

I did try to revive that one dead SSD. Tried a few things I found online. No luck, so I sent it off to a recovery company. They supposedly repair it for $60 or just send it back if they cannot. We will see.

Thanks for hanging in there with me. I will get this back to where I want it soon - I hope.

PS: Windows 10. Urgh! It is nice and I use it at work, but I am hugely turned off by their arrogant and unapologetic use of my data for their own gain. The blatant admission of guilt and the unrepentant attitude turned me away from Microsoft. This is why (at home) I held on to Windows 7 for so long. It is also why I am using 8.1 now. It is also the reason I decided to learn Linux. Once Linux is up and running, I will go back to the way it was before all this "INSANITY" started. This is running Linux virtually all the time. I only booted into Win 7 once in maybe 6 months to use AutoCAD. I was learning little by little until this COVID crap caused me to have to get a second job.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

Once a SSD drive is dead, then it's dead. 98% of the time data is irretrievable. They are not like the old platen drives where you do have a chance of getting some data back.
Why are you having your USB drive as secondary boot?
Your following boot options are what is best
1. First boot device = USB
2. Second boot device = Hard drive
The computer on startup will check the bios and see what drive is the first boot device is,if it detects a non bootable USB stick, it will then bypass that and then check for a secondary boot device which will be your hard drive.
I don't know why you purchased win8.1 instead of win10, unless you already had it, then installing it's continual updates, then waiting for it to install it's upgrade to win10, then hoping you have some space left, and no conflicts
Then doing a dual boot install with LM, then getting it to work good until winwoes does it's usual updates and breaks LM.
But what ever you do, it will be you own decision, so I look forward to hearing from you that you have successfully installed LM and go it up and running.
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

For now booting from the CD/DVD is priority followed by the drive with 8.1. This is all temporary right now, so I am not bothered by the arrangement.

Once I have the software I need installed, I will move to Linux 20.

By the way, I have 19.3 on USB. If I download the latest ISO for LM 20, is it as simple as copying the files to the USB drive for it to install? I want to say it is, but you never know.

I ranted on Win 10 in my last post. I will let those words speak for themselves. My 8.1 will never be upgraded to Win 10. Never.

I never had a problem with Win7 trying to mess with Linux, why would 8.1 be different? I am curious how that could happen.

Anyway, back to work. Thanks for all the help and advice. Much appreciated.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:21 am
For now booting from the CD/DVD is priority followed by the drive with 8.1. This is all temporary right now, so I am not bothered by the arrangement.

Once I have the software I need installed, I will move to Linux 20.

By the way, I have 19.3 on USB. If I download the latest ISO for LM 20, is it as simple as copying the files to the USB drive for it to install? I want to say it is, but you never know.

I ranted on Win 10 in my last post. I will let those words speak for themselves. My 8.1 will never be upgraded to Win 10. Never.

I never had a problem with Win7 trying to mess with Linux, why would 8.1 be different? I am curious how that could happen.

Anyway, back to work. Thanks for all the help and advice. Much appreciated.
-Do you have a customized iso version of LM 19.3 that you need?, if not. then just use/install LM 20 and reinstall your same fav apps, and data, ...
-There is basically no difference between Win8.1, and Win10, except that Win10 has futureproof security updates(for now), and slightly better performance than Win8.1.
-You likely never had a problem with "Win7 trying to mess with Linux" because Win7 ran in MBR mode, instead of EFI mode, which was/is fine.
If you were in MBR mode and do decide to boot/install cleanly in EFI mode, (with your new MB), for both Win8.1/10/Linux then that is a teeny bit more complex, depending on what you're comfortable with. But it's an important long-term decision nonetheless.
...food for thought.
In either case, backup all your data.

Oh and @Kato181 is correct, "Once a SSD drive is dead, then it's dead. "
I've had 1st and 2nd gen OCZ ssd drives, ..., that literally disappeared.
There's a reason they call them "Solid-State" Drives, they're exactly a binary/digital light-switch. They're either completely ON, or completely OFF, there is NO inbetween, unlike most other mechanical harddrives that are recoverable.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

If your win8.1 is going to be connected to the internet, then IT will be updated to win10 you don't have that option as you had in earlier versions of windows, to the best of my knowledge. We all know that microshaft wants winwoes users to start paying for the privilege of having it installed on your computers or coming with it on laptops.
It will be charging a yearly license the same as office365, I would expect this to start in 2023 sometime, but it is going to happen. They have said it will.
Personally I think it's going to be their downfall, but then again Apple usually follow microshaft on doing things, which then lends itself to what other options do people have if the costs do happen. That would be easy, switch to Linux, no costs..It's Free.!!!
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

kato181 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:44 am
If your win8.1 is going to be connected to the internet, then IT will be updated to win10
No it won't, that ended a few years ago.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

Well my initial plan before the MB problem was to continue with W7 indefinitely with Linux as my main OS. I have a network cable on/off switch, so I could just reboot into W7 when I needed it without fear of some update causing me more problems. I still plan on using this switch with W8.1. I just may not have to be as diligent about it, at least for the near future.

I got everything installed last night and made a few last minute hardware installs - USB2 hub and USB3 cables out the back. That is all I need with 8.1. I am ready to install LM20. I created my USB install drive last night from the ISO. I am not sure if I can get back to it tonight, but I will be a Linux user again by the end of the weekend.

I will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for everything.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Good luck. I may be doing the opposite and installing W10 20H2 because I'm a sadomasochist :lol:
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

Well here is the latest. I have 8.1 running and all seems fine. I installed LM20 on its own drive. When I installed, I actually unplugged the 8.1 drive. LM20 was working fine until I hooked 8.1 back up. It boots directly into LM20 but my mouse stops working. I have tried it on different USB ports, and I tried a different mouse. No luck. All I can do is press the off button to shut down. I thought I read where once you hooked up both OS it would then provide the dual boot screen. It didn't. So I unplugged LM20 and reattached 8.1. Works fine and is what I am using right now.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I have to head out to work, but I will tackle this when I get in. Thanks.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

install rEFInd to the LM20 drive for simplicity. It auto-detects all bootable operating systems every time it is run, that will allow you to boot W8.1 or LM20 at will. It also remembers the last booted operating system (with a timeout to change to the other options available) rather than having a defined default so it's easier to carry on working in the one OS if you turn the machine off or have to restart for an update.

It's not a bootloader either, it's a boot manager and is far more intelligent for want of a better phrase. It doesn't need updating each time you install a new kernel, it will always find the new toys itself.

Look it up on rodsbooks website for more information but it's really handy and near enough install and leave alone. You don't have to pay to use it but can donate if you like it a lot (I have) and it is available to install from the Ubuntu repositories used by Linux Mint.

http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

As for the mouse, what make and brand is it? I have one that is not identified properly by LMDE4 which causes an error message in the Logs program but still works okay. LM20 recognises it fine, so it's clearly a kernel issue.

If you can, try a different mouse temporarily. When you are logged into LM20, plug the mouse that is not working properly in as well and then open the Logs program. Look for any Important error messages from the time you plug the mouse in. Don't worry, they will be immediately apparent as everything is filtered and time stamped.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm
Well here is the latest. I have 8.1 running and all seems fine. I installed LM20 on its own drive. When I installed, I actually unplugged the 8.1 drive. LM20 was working fine until I hooked 8.1 back up. It boots directly into LM20 ...
In LM20 (with your 8.1 Drive connected), all you had to do was run:

sudo update-grub
-then the linux boot loader (GRUB) would've detected the 8.1 drive and added it to your boot options upon next reboot.
btw, I assume you're using (U)EFI ? - https://itsfoss.com/check-uefi-or-bios/

Is Secure Boot disabled on MB ? (hopefully it should be), or just check that it is within Linux:

sudo mokutil --sb-state 
also, when you get a chance please post new output of:

sudo inxi -Fxzdm
Last edited by scjet45 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:00 pm
... It boots directly into LM20 but my mouse stops working. I have tried it on different USB ports, and I tried a different mouse. No luck. ...
Any thoughts on how to fix this? I have to head out to work, but I will tackle this when I get in. Thanks.
Did you get a new MB and installed the latest bios/firmware update or not.?
and if you did, then It's likely not a (usb)mouse/keyboard issue, but it maybe an IOMMU enabling issue in your MB bios\uefi, and\or your "/etc/default/grub" config file?
So, I've asked you 2 times already, but can you pleeez post the output of:

sudo inxi -Fxzdm
within LM20, of your present hardware, so that we'll at least have a bird's eye view of your current setup.? -and yes, that's important.
Last edited by scjet45 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

antikythera wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:42 pm
install rEFInd ...
That's fine, but only AFTER the user understands (u)EFI\MBR\GPT differences at all boot\installation levels.
"rEFInd" is just training-wheels without the "training", IMHO.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

I did partition LM20 using GPT. Is that good or bad?
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:23 pm
I did partition LM20 using GPT. Is that good or bad?
If you're using\enabled (u)EFI botting, then yes it's a good thing,and make sure Secure Boot is disabled in your Bios/UEFI.
Is there still a problem about you posting "sudo inxi -Fxzdm" ?
Last edited by scjet45 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit
ciresmis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ciresmis »

Linux will not boot up at the moment, and I worked all weekend. I will try to get back to it tonight or tomorrow.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

scjet45 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:18 pm
antikythera wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:42 pm
install rEFInd ...
That's fine, but only AFTER the user understands (u)EFI\MBR\GPT differences at all boot\installation levels.
"rEFInd" is just training-wheels without the "training", IMHO.
That's what reading the rodsbooks website will explain to them and while you may consider it training wheels, it's more a GUI swiss army knife.
scjet45
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scjet45 »

ciresmis wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:28 pm
Linux will not boot up at the moment, and I worked all weekend. I will try to get back to it tonight or tomorrow.
Then you still have hardware issues, and hiding behind Windows doesn't cut it my friend. ;)
you said it yourself before that LM worked great on that "single drive", but now it doesn't, ao which is it ?
Last edited by scjet45 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LinuxMint 20 Mate 64bit

Return to “Hardware Support”