Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev            1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev
tmpfs           382M  1.4M  381M   1% /run
/dev/sda1       916G  171G  699G  20% /
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs           1.9G     0  1.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs           382M   28K  382M   1% /run/user/1000
Is that even normal? Doesn't look like the USB is listed here, but it's weird to see all those small sub file systems.
JoeFootball wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:11 am
At first glance, it looks fairly comprehensive to me. Perhaps this section would make it more clear, as it includes a step for how to run it after the download step ...

"TestDisk Step By Step
This recovery example guides you through TestDisk step by step to recover a missing partition and repair a corrupted one. After reading this tutorial, you should be ready to recover your own data."

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step
Read it again, more carefully.
Under Unix/Linux/BSD, you need to be root to run TestDisk (ie. sudo testdisk-6.13/testdisk_static)
The command is only an example. The path is not absolute and the version number is probably different. I ask for help with what the command is to run TestDisk because it was installed with the Mint Software Manager, and only the Mint team would be able to tell me what that is.

Read the context, not just the instructions.
ricardogroetaers wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:02 am
Lsusb detects that the USB device has been inserted, silences if there is a media on the device, if that media contains partitioning, a partition and a file system.

The Disks program can show this.

As for the TestDisk program, I don't know about it, so I can't help you in using this program.

Consider that if the device media is "burned" (nonexistent), the TestDisk program, or any other data recovery program, will be harmless.

It is not possible to recover data stored in what does not exist.

No more confusion.
I'm sorry, "silences if there is a media on the device"?

Well, after multiple instances of not starting I tried Disks, but it can't see the USB, and GParted doesn't have any hanging incidents anymore either and just skips past the device. (It used to have an error message involving /dev/sdb, but not anymore.) I'm not sure what other options exist other than TestDisk which I don't know how to start.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed some nastiness that goes against forum rules.
JoeFootball
Level 10
Level 10

Re: USB no longer functioning correctly after multiple process issues

Post by JoeFootball »

HeatBugStyle wrote: The command is only an example.
You're correct, and I didn't attempt to imply it was otherwise
HeatBugStyle wrote:I ask for help with what the command is to run TestDisk because it was installed with the Mint Software Manager, and only the Mint team would be able to tell me what that is.
To help you, I just installed TestDisk from the Software Manager myself. I opened my terminal, typed testdisk, hit return, and it started right up.

Best of luck to you.
ricardogroetaers
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB no longer functioning correctly after multiple process issues

Post by ricardogroetaers »

HeatBugStyle wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:33 am
I'm sorry, "silences if there is a media on the device"?
Media is the medium (optical, magnetic, flash, ...) existing or inserted in the device, in which the data are effectively written.

So the media on a floppy drive is the floppy disk itself, the media on a hard disk drive is the magnetic disk itself inside the HD housing, the media on an optical drive (CD/DVD) is the optical disk itself inserted into the drive.

The media of a flash device (pendrive, memory card, ssd, ...) is the flash circuit on the device itself. If this circuit is burned or there is an electrical malfunction, the device may even be recognized but there will be no media on it. It is like a floppy drive without a floppy disk.

The command "lsusb" (I suppose), was designed to see "devices" and not the "media" contained or inserted in it.

Observe the output of the command "lsusb" in the figure.
1- without the sdcard adapter inserted
2- with the sdcard adapter inserted, but without a sdcard
3- with the sdcard adapter containing a sdcard
No difference in the output of the "lsusb" command in cases 2 and 3.

As I said before.
If the device's media (flash) is burned (damaged), it will not be possible to recover data that was written in what no longer exists.

Return to “Hardware Support”