green line [SOLVED]

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

green line [SOLVED]

Post by fatso »

Hi, folks. Suddenly I have a lovely bright green line up the centre of my laptop screen (the system is only slightly older than 1 year). This is particularly odd since I use an external monitor, and the laptop screen is only ever on long enough to boot the system. From what I've read online, this seems like a defective screen that needs replacing.
I was just wondering if there might be anybody around here who might have other suggestions before I spend the bucks.
The laptop is an ASUS ROG Strix Scar Edition GL703GE.
Note: I'm not in a big panic to replace the screen, but I should get a new one (if required) before they're deemed obsolete and aren't available.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: green line

Post by sleeper12 »

Well, I've never had just a green line on my screens. But, I have had red lines & multi colors on screens that needed to be replaced. Maybe if you post a screen shot, someone will recognize the problem.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

fatso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm I was just wondering if there might be anybody around here who might have other suggestions before I spend the bucks.
If the green line is on the screen from a cold boot into the UEFI/BIOS then the screen needs replacing. If it appears when you boot into the OS, try booting from a live media; this is necessary because if the line doesn't appear in the BIOS it doesn't follow that some part of the video circuitry is not damaged because booting into UEFI/BIOS might not hit the component that's at fault, e.g. if UEFI/BIOS uses frambuffer but the issue is only visible when accelerated graphics is used.
fatso
Level 4
Level 4

Post by fatso »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:09 pm
fatso wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:25 pm I was just wondering if there might be anybody around here who might have other suggestions before I spend the bucks.
If the green line is on the screen from a cold boot into the UEFI/BIOS then the screen needs replacing. If it appears when you boot into the OS, try booting from a live media; this is necessary because if the line doesn't appear in the BIOS it doesn't follow that some part of the video circuitry is not damaged because booting into UEFI/BIOS might not hit the component that's at fault, e.g. if UEFI/BIOS uses frambuffer but the issue is only visible when accelerated graphics is used.
Yup. Green line is there in bios screen too. Looks like replacement time. Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Return to “Hardware Support”