Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 20.1 slow on Samsung 500GB SSD Dual boot with 1 TB storage HDD

Post by dbmatre »

Hello
I’ve installed LM 20.1 on Samsung EVO 500 GB SSD along with Windows 10. I’ve kept windows 10 in 40GB space and rest of the SSD space for the LM as it would be the main OS. For storage I’ve entire 1 TB HDD with mint OS.

I’ve checked SSD speed on Windows and it has good speed but somehow on LM I feel like the speed is not same even though it has 400GB for OS only,

1. Any reason for being slow? or did I miss any optimisation steps.

2. How to check SSD speed on LM ?So I can be sure the speed is as per the configuration and I’m just being greedy :)

System info ; https://termbin.com/8hpl

Please let me know if you need more information to help me.

Thank you so much.
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint 20.1 slow on Samsung 500GB SSD Dual boot with 1 TB storage HDD

Post by JeffF73 »

Have you tried to search for any firmware updates for your SSD?

You could also try this.
SSD: how to optimize your Solid State Drive for Linux Mint and Ubuntu
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/ssd.html
rossdv8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rossdv8 »

A good place to start is to open a Terminal and try the hdparm command.
Here's an example from mine. I am running similar drive to you, but bigger and NOT dual booting.

These are the drives usually connected, but I have up to 10 external drives connected to my little Lenovo from 1TB through 4TB in size and often 3 of them are SSD.

I'm using an intel i5 processor with 8GB RAM.
This is what is connected at the moment:
Drives: Local Storage: total: 2.27 TiB used: 715.32 GiB (30.7%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
serial: <filter>
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD50 00LPVX-22V0TT0
size: 465.76 GiB serial: <filter>
ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Innostor model: Ext. HDD size: 931.51 GiB
Here's a hdparm test just now:
M93p:~$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
[sudo] password for ross:

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 20228 MB in 1.99 seconds = 10172.12 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 872 MB in 3.42 seconds = 254.97 MB/sec
Writes are not generally tested by hdparm because they will probably destroy (overwrite) some of your data.
It is important to know that some write operations on SSD are a fair bit slower than on a spinning drive because of the way an SSD works.
Think like:
Spinning drive = worker placing items on a conveyor passing them - just plonking each item in whatever space is passing.
SSD = Worker placing items in pigeon holes on the wall in front of them, picking up an item, looking for an empty hole and filling it each time.

Not entirely accurate, but close enough for a mental image.

Where an SSD shines is retrieving stuff, but writing it is not quite as slick.

I wrote that there are links on here that guide you through setting up Mint to work best with an SSD.
When I submitted I saw that Jeff73 posted a link on his reply to an article that does the same thing.
Current main OS: MInt 20.1 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

Thanks Jeff73 and Rossdv8 for your help and resources. I will try to optimise with the resources provided.

@Rossdv8 I tested with hdparm command and I got following output, figures look good but wondering why I'm not getting that magically wow speed which we get when we move from HDD to SSD

/dev/nvme0n1p1:
Timing cached reads: 35426 MB in 1.99 seconds = 17793.80 MB/sec
HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(identify) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Timing buffered disk reads: 100 MB in 0.07 seconds = 1367.26 MB/sec

rossdv8 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:35 am
A good place to start is to open a Terminal and try the hdparm command.
Here's an example from mine. I am running similar drive to you, but bigger and NOT dual booting.

These are the drives usually connected, but I have up to 10 external drives connected to my little Lenovo from 1TB through 4TB in size and often 3 of them are SSD.

I'm using an intel i5 processor with 8GB RAM.
This is what is connected at the moment:
Drives: Local Storage: total: 2.27 TiB used: 715.32 GiB (30.7%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: SSD 860 EVO 1TB size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Western Digital model: WD50 00LPVX-22V0TT0
size: 465.76 GiB serial: <filter>
ID-3: /dev/sdc type: USB vendor: Innostor model: Ext. HDD size: 931.51 GiB
Here's a hdparm test just now:
M93p:~$ sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
[sudo] password for ross:

/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 20228 MB in 1.99 seconds = 10172.12 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 872 MB in 3.42 seconds = 254.97 MB/sec
Writes are not generally tested by hdparm because they will probably destroy (overwrite) some of your data.
It is important to know that some write operations on SSD are a fair bit slower than on a spinning drive because of the way an SSD works.
Think like:
Spinning drive = worker placing items on a conveyor passing them - just plonking each item in whatever space is passing.
SSD = Worker placing items in pigeon holes on the wall in front of them, picking up an item, looking for an empty hole and filling it each time.

Not entirely accurate, but close enough for a mental image.

Where an SSD shines is retrieving stuff, but writing it is not quite as slick.

I wrote that there are links on here that guide you through setting up Mint to work best with an SSD.
When I submitted I saw that Jeff73 posted a link on his reply to an article that does the same thing.
rossdv8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rossdv8 »

figures look good but wondering why I'm not getting that magically wow speed which we get when we move from HDD to SSD
All of your speeds on the SSD are faster than mine. The only real place I notice the SSD is slower is writing. Reads I can't complain about, however, if data is read from places that rarely change, like an OS (Mint) for example, things happen quickly.
If data is stored in random locations, which is as I understand it, common o SSDs, it should be slower than on a spinning drive.

There are advantages and disadvantages to mechanical and SSD devices. There are some good resources online if you search something like SSD vs Mechanical hard drive, that might give you a better insight into what I am trying to describe :-)
Current main OS: MInt 20.1 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
mikeflan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mikeflan »

Anybody concerned about that? Or is that just a Perl error we can ignore?

BTW, I get:

Code: Select all

sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
[sudo] password for mike:     

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   23484 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11796.16 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 622 MB in  3.00 seconds = 207.09 MB/sec
rossdv8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rossdv8 »

mikeflan wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 am
Anybody concerned about that? Or is that just a Perl error we can ignore?

BTW, I get:

Code: Select all

sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/sda
[sudo] password for mike:     

/dev/sda:
 Timing cached reads:   23484 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11796.16 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 622 MB in  3.00 seconds = 207.09 MB/sec
Hmmm, provided the SSD uses a SATA connection it probably shouldn't throw that error. A little snooping suggests an NVME SSD might though..
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

If your system is on the SSD and your home directory is on the hard disk, Mint will be fast but all your applications slow due to all their configs, profiles, work and data files sitting in your home directory on the hard disk. A different configuration could work magic.

My other machine has mostly photos. I have / and/home on the SSD then /home/me/Pictures on the hard disk. Everything runs at SSD speed except for writing out new images.
rossdv8
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rossdv8 »

My other machine has mostly photos. I have / and/home on the SSD then /home/me/Pictures on the hard disk. Everything runs at SSD speed except for writing out new images.
Would I be correct if I guessed that /home/me/Pictures on the 'ordinary' Hard drive is accessed via a symbolic link from inside /home/me/Pictures in the SSD ?

That's my favourite way method. I don't want to mess with modifying fstab, as I have too many external USB drives, but as long as I manually click a drive to mount it once it is plugged in, and as long as the path from /home/Pictures is always the same the links seem to work fine after any drive is plugged in.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

I'm wondering if I put everything on SSD, removing HDD and making as external drive will improve the speed ?
Feel like 500GB SSD space is enough for normal working and small storage.
mikeflan
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mikeflan »

dbmatre wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 6:02 am
I'm wondering if I put everything on SSD, removing HDD and making as external drive will improve the speed ?
Feel like 500GB SSD space is enough for normal working and small storage.
For me the OS goes on a 500 GB SSD, along with 25 - 50 GB of critical, high speed access text files. Timeshift saves to the same drive and the drive is 50% full. Then I have 3 very large spinning internal HDD. No need to make spinning HDD's external in my opinion, but you can if you want.
kato181
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kato181 »

A samsung evo 860 ssd is not that fast compared to a pro version or an M.2 nvme drive.
560MB/s sequential read and upto 530MB/s sequential write speeds are slow compared to M.2 nvme ssd's
All my systems run with M.2 nvme samsung ssd's, I only have one samsung ssd sata, and I use that on my only winwoes computer for gaming.
I would be allowing more that 40gb for windows, especially with their huge updates which includes newer windows versions also.
dbmatre
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dbmatre »

Hi kato181 Thanks for the update but I've Nvme M.2 drive only.

And update for all....I have shifted home folder to the SSD and didn't find much difference in speed putting home folder on internal HDD and having it on the SSD.
I think I will keep using as it is and not waste your much time. Thank you and see you all on some other issue.

kato181 wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 7:56 pm
A samsung evo 860 ssd is not that fast compared to a pro version or an M.2 nvme drive.
560MB/s sequential read and upto 530MB/s sequential write speeds are slow compared to M.2 nvme ssd's
All my systems run with M.2 nvme samsung ssd's, I only have one samsung ssd sata, and I use that on my only winwoes computer for gaming.
I would be allowing more that 40gb for windows, especially with their huge updates which includes newer windows versions also.