Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wimbledon_lime_drive
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Installing Realtek ethernet driver

Post by wimbledon_lime_drive »

I'm trying to get my ethernet to work and a solution I came upon was to install a driver from here: https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zo ... s-software
I downloaded the '2.5G Ethernet LINUX driver r8125 for kernel up to 5.6' onto a different computer and got it onto my Linux computer but I'm really not sure how to install it. Here's what's in the driver file:

The README file has 'quick install' instructions. But here's what happens when I follow the first step, 'unpack the tarball':

My 'Network' info is:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE, vendor: Micro-Star MSI, driver: N/A, port: 3000, bus ID: 02:00.0, chip ID: 10ec:8125

I'm totally new to Linux, so any help is appreciated. And I could definitely be mistaken at one or more points along the way so please take my report with a little bit of skepticism :D
Last edited by wimbledon_lime_drive on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Installing Realtek ethernet driver

Post by antikythera »

Extract the archive contents using the file manager (right click the archive icon and choose extract here from the list of options). Open that new folder containing the driver, then open a terminal window by right clicking in an empty area of the file manager and choosing the option to do so which may be in an actions sub-menu) and type in the following command and then press enter. You will need to enter your password.

If it comes up with any more errors, please copy the text and paste it rather than posting screenshots.

Code: Select all

sudo ./autorun.sh
wimbledon_lime_drive
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Realtek ethernet driver

Post by wimbledon_lime_drive »

antikythera wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:57 pm
Extract the archive contents using the file manager (right click the archive icon and choose extract here from the list of options). Open that new folder containing the driver, then open a terminal window by right clicking in an empty area of the file manager and choosing the option to do so which may be in an actions sub-menu) and type in the following command and then press enter. You will need to enter your password.

If it comes up with any more errors, please copy the text and paste it rather than posting screenshots.

sudo ./autorun.sh
That worked! Thank you kindly :lol:
azevedob

Re: <SOLVED> Installing Realtek ethernet driver

Post by azevedob »

Hello,

After each kernel update, I have to repeat this operation. Will this be the case forever? It is a bit inconvenient...

Thanks!
antikythera
Level 12
Level 12

Post by antikythera »

Yes it will until support for your adaptor is added to the kernel (that may yet happen) and you no longer need to install the driver manually.
DamitDan11070108
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DamitDan11070108 »

I'm having an issue, I tried sudo ./autorun.sh and it's saying that commant not found. I'm just trying to get internet on my desktop, im so new to Linux and I've been trying to follow along with you guys but nothing is working. I'm really sad
Sp00k
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sp00k »

Try this:
sudo chmod +x autorun.sh
sudo ./autorun.sh

The first command changes the file to executable while the second executes it.
508std
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 508std »

Hi there, I'm also have issue with ethernet conection on Z490 motherboard

When I tried to sudo the autorun.sh here is what it return to me :

Check old driver and unload it.
Build the module and install
./autorun.sh: 31: make: not found
508std