TP Link WiFi extender

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

TP Link WiFi extender

Post by theeyan »

My TPlink WiFi extender lost signal (phone connected, but no internet). I am trying to reset it manually via a cable.

The default IP http://192.168.10.1 isn't loading anything. Blank page.

What can i do to fix the issue? Help?
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: TP Link WiFi extender

Post by AndyMH »

Assume you are connecting to the router with a cable from computer direct to the extender and not via your router*?
  • install nmap, and run sudo nmap -sn 192.168.10.1/24, this will search all 256 addresses on 192.168.10.x and report what it finds, or
  • somewhere there will be a reset button (usually requiring a pen or paperclip to press, normally need to do it for 5 secs until some lights flash - read the manual). That will set the extender back to its default address.
* did this a few days ago on a netgear wifi access point, I also set a static IP on the laptop before connecting to the WAP, in the same range as the WAP, in my case 192.168.0.x
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by theeyan »

Thanks for answering. Much appreciated.

Here is the complete situation. The wi-fi source is in a house next to mine. It sends the signal to a large wi-fi extender that's in my basement.

I also have this tiny extender, which i use on the 2nd floor, to have internet access on the terrace. It worked fine until recently, but now it just connects and says "no internet".

I tried the command you gave me, but it says ''nmap: command not found''

I know for a fact that i set it up 2-3 times with the ethernet cable, but it was a long time ago, and i forgot how. Now i am dumb-founded, unsure what the do next :oops:
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by theeyan »

I also tried resetting it, but that didn't do anything. Same issue.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I did say you have to install nmap. Should find it in software manager, if not sudo apt install nmap.

Sounds like the wifi extenders are connecting wirelessly to the router, not hardwired?

Anybody changed any passwords recently?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
hans123
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hans123 »

First get the manual on the internet if you do not have it anymore. Then properly reset the TP-Link Device (probably a pinhole on the case somewhere).
Then you can follow the setup procedure in the manual. It will assume / state that you have not connected an ethernet cable to the device.

These devices can be not easy to set up, but if not defective it usually will work!
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I have both the TP-Link RE220 & the TP-Link RE450 WiFi Extenders, and they both work fine.
Reset the device by inserting a paper clip into the "reset" hole on the device and hold it for 3 seconds, until all the LEDs turn on momentarily.
The device should reboot to default settings (as mentioned in earlier post).
The login address for a browser for both of those devices is http://tplinkrepeater.net or http://192.168.0.254
Username: admin (lower case)
Password: admin (lower case)

I always change the name (SSID) of the extender to the name of my router's SSID, not "Ext2" or whatever. So, maybe you need to name the extender's network name (SSID) the same as your neighbors?
Maybe there is some type of block or interference from the "Main" router, which in your case is the house next door.
Try the extender on someone else's network (with their permission) to test if it's dead or not.
The main router's password may have been changed by the owner, per WiFi bandwidth theft (they're ain't no free rides, people).
And, yes, download the user manual from TP-Link's website for your specific WiFi Extender. I always download all docs, manuals, drivers, firmware, etc. then put them in a folder for future reference, that way, you won't be left in the dark.

I've been using TP-Link's products for 20 years & they work fine for me.
Good luck.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

My experience with WiFi extenders is that they wear out faster than just about any other piece of computer equipment I've ever owned.

It's possible this one has simply reached the end of its useful life.

Return to “Hardware Support”