LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GMA-4082N - Update on the Lenovo 3000

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BAD

Re: LG HL-DT-ST DVD RAM GMA-4082N - Update on the Lenovo 3000

Post by BAD »

Personally I do not buy computers with Intel I prefer AMD also Lenovo laptops have standard specs for the price. I don't know how much you paid but I would guess you could have bought a comparable HP for close to the same price. Oh well maybe you can put a different DVD rom into your computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

BAD wrote:Personally I do not buy computers with Intel I prefer AMD also Lenovo laptops have standard specs for the price. I don't know how much you paid but I would guess you could have bought a comparable HP for close to the same price. Oh well maybe you can put a different DVD rom into your computer.
1. Intel chipsets are usually better supported in Linux than anything else with open source drivers, and I prefer Intel processors over AMD due to temperature issues..
2. The only thing I recommend about HP is their multimedia laptops speakers, nothing else is especially good about them: The BIOS is locked by default, you can't overclock or downclock the processor (ironically I wanted to downclock my overclocked AMD processor since it was reaching average temperatures of almost 60 degrees celsius, recommended is 40). In facy, BIOS is completely useless in HP, about the only thing you can do with it is change the boot order or run a HDD self test (which hdparm is quite capable of doing).
Also, Lenovo/IBM computers are generally pretty well supported in Linux, but you have to go for the Thinkpads, I think those are best supported..
As for the issue at hand, I feel your pain, I have a similar issue with my WLAN card, the driver can't handle /b networks properly, so I usually get louse speeds in Linux :(
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
BAD

Post by BAD »

Re: Humidicuts
Sounds like you got a good deal.

RE: Mangus
You make a good point about the Bios.
I personally support AMD because Intel processors are expensive and Intel is more concerned with quarterly sale than putting out the fastest chip. In my opinion supporting Intel is like supporting Macromoney MS it does not help support change.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

Intel has put more effort into open sourcing their drivers in Linux than ATi (AMD owned, as an example), and I find the overall quality on Intel better than AMD. However, traditionally AMD has paid more attention to what their customers want, and given better value, but still, I prefer quality...
--Dean Martin

Post by Guest »

RE:Mangus
Remember a few years ago when Intel put out Processors every quarter 1st 800mhz 2nd 850mhz 3rd 866mhz 4th Christmas 900mhz at that rate we would be at 2000MHZ in 2007. After AMD put out a 1Ghz processor, true they could only ship a few at a time, Intel magically released thousands of 1.0 1.1 1.2ghz processors and their marketing department said see we are the best we can deliver what the customer wants not like our competitors who can't meet demand. If it weren't for AMD the fastest PC processor would be 2.5GHZ right now. Try it go back to the release of the PIII 900mhz and add two processor speed each quarter 00 33 50 66 75 untill you get to 2007 and see how fast the desktop processors would be if Intel had no competition. Did you get to quad core 64bit 9000MHZ?

I am running 3 AMD processors on desktops and none have had problems. But laptops may be a different story like you mentioned.

True ATI has poor support for their products but didn't AMD acquire ATI a few years ago. Maybe the support will change especially since Dell puts Linux on laptops and AMD desperately wants to supply Dell with hardware.

I have an ATI 7500aiw that works but ATI does not support the TV tuner under Linux and I have read people have problems with the 9200 and 9800. However, on my computer I have a 9200SE and it work with no problems guess I got lucky.
I think under Linux if you are going to buy new components you need to research known problems first and find a place with a good return policy.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I did not say AMD was poor, I am saying I prefer Intel because of the quality. In fact, competition is good, in no way is monopoly good. On Linux Intel chipset is better supported, with open source, graphics, WLAN and sound (though graphics and sound has some issues).
And as you pointed out, overheating is more of an issue on laptops than on desktops, my previous AMD processor could reach temperatures of 70 deg Celsius on IDLE, but this one seem to be stable at around 50ish (a bit high, but it'll survive), with compiz running! That is why I dislike AMD, I could fry eggs on that laptop....
--Dean Martin
Fred

Post by Fred »

I tend to like AMD and Nvida on the desktop and Intel on laptops, because of the power consumption/ heat.

I am hoping that as we start seeing the tickless kernel maturing and programs start using it to its best advantage, that power consumption and heat will go down across the board.

Fred

Return to “Hardware Support”