Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Wireless keyboard

Post by ElMugroso »

After installation of Mint Lisa 64 in my older HP Pavillion dv 8000 AMD-64, so far I am very happy.

One minor thing, though:

1. After installation, I plugged usb wireless M.S. keyboard and mouse. No drivers needed. All works fine, with the exception that the indicator lights at the laptop do not show when one is in CAPS, or NumLock, and so forth. Now, since these wireless keyboards do not have such indicators, it would be nice is the indicators at the laptop were to respond too. They do respond in Windows XP as asked.

2. Do I perhaps need install a driver for the keyboard?

Thanks for any help.
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wireless keyboard

Post by Danko8321 »

Well, it is odd, but let me tell you about a workaround. There is a way for those indications to appear in the screen instead, are you interested?

If you are, you need to open a terminal and type in the following:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tsbarnes/indicator-keylock; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install indicator-keylock indicator-keylock-ubuntu-mono
That will ad a ppa to your system (a ppa is a place where you can get additional software from) and install the app you need for the caps and num indicators to appear in the screen. It also will make it install a theme for the indications since the default theme is ugly, to say the least. Hope that helps you. Danko.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.
ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElMugroso »

H Danko,

and thanks for the help.

I went ahead and copy/pasted the suggested commands into a terminal, and with no errors reported, installations took place.

However, I am not sure if I need to do anything else, since I click on the CAPS key, NUMlock keys, and I thought I would see some indication on the screen of the change in state of those keys. I do not see any change, though.

At the terminal, some of the last few lines (of a whole lot) read as follows:

Selecting previously deselected package indicator-keylock-ubuntu-mono.
Unpacking indicator-keylock-ubuntu-mono (from .../indicator-keylock-ubuntu-mono_2~0ppa1~natty_all.deb) ...
Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Setting up humanity-icon-theme (0.5.3.11) ...
Setting up ubuntu-mono (0.0.37) ...
Setting up indicator-keylock (3.0.0-0~ppa0) ...
Setting up indicator-keylock-ubuntu-mono (2~0ppa1~natty) ...

To see the state of those keys is what I would like to have, even if the indication is only for a few seconds, and then vanishes, or other means, too.

Thanks!
ElMugroso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ElMugroso »

Hi again,

Danko,

I restarted da compuri and THEN the INDICATIONS at the screen DID WORK just as wished.

Thanks a lot! :P

Return to “Hardware Support”