Fan problems on toshiba with linux

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
udz368

Fan problems on toshiba with linux

Post by udz368 »

Hi all,

Is the acpi (fan problem) on toshiba laptops already fixed in the newest version of linuxmint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
udz368

Re: Fan problems on toshiba with linux

Post by udz368 »

bump
udz368

Post by udz368 »

:roll:
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Actually, the fan system worked fine until just recently on my machine (see my sigfile for my laptop type). Still not sure why it isn't anymore. :(

{UPDATE: Apparently, the Toshiba extensions aren't in the current generic kernels unless you recompile. Not fun. Anyone know how to proceed here?]
Lord_Eager

Post by Lord_Eager »

Actually i have no fan control via linux, neither found any solution to install any driver for 3D-sensor gravity for HDD protection... On a Toshiba NB200... i'm interested as well...
rdanner3

Post by rdanner3 »

Lord_Eager wrote:Actually i have no fan control via linux, neither found any solution to install any driver for 3D-sensor gravity for HDD protection... On a Toshiba NB200... i'm interested as well...
To the best of my knowledge, the driver for the accelerometer you refer to (which my machine also has!) is not available in Linux, nor is the one that enables (on my machine) the Dolby Control Center. (I do miss my Dolby! LOL But I can do without, most of the time. Heck, the times I use the Harman/Kardon speakers on this laptop are fairly rare...)

And we apparently need to reinsert the Toshiba ACPI kernel extensions (at the least) back into the kernel. Two different Toshiba-specific kernel extension modules (extension ".ko") exist on my HD (have checked) but I have no idea (past a recompile!) how to tell the kernel to actually load the things!

The last three times I've tried to recompile a kernel from sources have all failed before I got to the configuration menu. And don't even ask how many warnings I got. Annoying stuff!)

[Update: Using instructions for the Quantal kernel from this thread http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40185 I was able to get the fan going again, although it is actually a kernel in the bleeding-edge.]
Spro504

Post by Spro504 »

I have a toshiba qosmio and i i cant get my fan to work, hoping this still works

Return to “Hardware Support”