Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
RobertX
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot access floppies in Linux Mint 13: No Medium in Drive

Post by RobertX » Wed May 30, 2012 6:25 pm

I just downloaded and installed Linux Mint 13 and found out that the floppy disk drive cannot be opened. It shows up alright in the file manager, but when I try to access it, it throws an error saying "No Medium in Drive."

Now, I've never used a floppy drive in any of the Linux OSs installed in the current computer, but I tried it on Windows 7 and it works. Therefore, I declare that it's not the hardware's fault.

I tried to mount it by using:

Code: Select all

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
It doesn't spit an error, but it doesn't do anything either.

This problem gave sleepness nights and I want to sleep tonight. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: And oh, I forgot to mention, I did have a floppy the drive.

massasauga
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot access floppies in Linux Mint 13: No Medium in Dr

Post by massasauga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:04 pm

I am seeing the same problem. I have a dual boot setup and my floppy drive boots from a floppy and I can access floppies from Windows 7. I remember a similar problem with Ubuntu 10.04. I found a mount utility that worked around a known but. I can't seem to find this utility on Linux Mint 13. I checked my /etc/fstab file, and the floppy stanza is in place and configured correctly.

If I find the utility, I will write back. Meanwhile, if anyone else sees this and knows the solution, I would appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Gregg

massasauga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by massasauga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I just remembered a set of utilities called mtools. It came installed on my Linux Mint 13, so you probably have it too. You need to run it from a command line, either as root or (probably better) as a sudo user. mtools has commands like mdir and mcopy, which are like the old DOS commands dir and copy respectively. You can also see a little more of how the commands work by entering "man mtools" (without the quotes) from the command line.

Here is how I copied the contents of a floppy so I can use the files in Linux:

1. I created a destination directory in my home directory by entering "mkdir floppy-contents" (without quotes).
2. I entered the command as follows:
sudo mcopy a: ~/floppy-contents
Note: The first time you execute a command using sudo, you will be prompted to enter your password. Sudo stands for
Super User Do (or some such thing). It allows you to perform a command as root, without logging on as root.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Gregg

P.S. I know there is some other mount utility out there somewhere that lets you mount a floppy in linux. I just have to relocate it.

Kennethy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kennethy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:35 am

Hello,
Floppies are not mounted automatically. Did you run a mount command as root? If not, do a mount, and try to access the floppy.
By mounting. First you need a mount-point, i.e. a directory under which you can access your floppy. You can chose an arbitrary name, I use /df0 through /df3 (and /pc0 to /pc3 respectively) because I'm used to these names from AmigaOS.

Create the directories. e.g.:

Code: Select all

mkdir /df0
mkdir /any-name-will-do
mkdir /ados/df0
mkdir /ados/pc0
Try :)

Return to “Hardware Support”