Fans spinning up when computer is idle and monitor turns off

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
slogger

Fans spinning up when computer is idle and monitor turns off

Post by slogger »

I have a custom built PC running mint:
ASRock Z77 Pro4-m mobo
Xeon E3-1230 v2 Ivy Bridge
Ati Radeon 7770
are the only parts I can imagine mattering to this issue.

Pretty much my PC is really quiet while running. Using stress with crazy settings the like

Code: Select all

stress -c 16 -i 16 -m 16
in two consoles and running a 3-D game at the same the CPU and case fans spin up and get a bit noisy. And when I'm using the computer it doesn't bother me.

What does bother me is that when I leave the computer sitting by itself and the monitor turns off, something makes all the fans spin up like the system is under max load more or less like it's doing what I mentioned above. I haven't been able to figure out why. I tried removing screensaver. I looked at bios fan settings.

I haven't been able to find anything definitive about this, was hoping maybe someone here had something.

I'm going to double check now, but I don't think it happens if I manually lock the machine, just if I let it sit idle. (PS: Is there a lock screen shortcut in mint? I think in ubuntu it's ctrl-alt-l.)

Above is wrong. Just tested. The moment the monitor switches off the fans start picking up.

It's driving me crazy.

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”