Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 13 and Video Cards

Post by rickinfl »

Ok I was running a ATI AGP Video card and it will not run on Linux after a week of working on it. So Now I have a Nvidia FX5200 and it doesn't work. Can someone Please tell me what Video card works with Mint 13? I have PCI and AGP Slots. I just can't take much more of this seems I can't find a video card compatible with Linux :(

remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Linux Mint 13 and Video Cards

Post by remoulder »

As you have been told in other posts, you are trying to run a modern OS on a rather old PC. You might be better looking at an older version of mint/linux or getting a newer machine, though many users still have graphics issues with new machines!
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

squeezy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by squeezy »

rickinfl wrote:Ok I was running a ATI AGP Video card and it will not run on Linux after a week of working on it. So Now I have a Nvidia FX5200 and it doesn't work. Can someone Please tell me what Video card works with Mint 13? I have PCI and AGP Slots. I just can't take much more of this seems I can't find a video card compatible with Linux :(
I have the same hardware limitation you do, AGP and PCI. I use an nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP and it works with every distro I've thrown at it. It one of the few AGP cards you can still find easily.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 0189&csid=

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

squeezy wrote:I have the same hardware limitation you do, AGP and PCI. I use an nVidia GeForce 6200 AGP and it works with every distro I've thrown at it. It one of the few AGP cards you can still find easily.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... 0189&csid=
Thanks maybe I'll try it in the future. I can't be down anymore so I'm loading Windows back on it today. I just don't understand why Windows 7 works perfect on it but Linux doesn't. Everyone says my computer is old. I have no issues with Windows 7.

george238
Level 2
Level 2

Post by george238 »

remoulder wrote:As you have been told in other posts, you are trying to run a modern OS on a rather old PC. You might be better looking at an older version of mint/linux or getting a newer machine, though many users still have graphics issues with new machines!
How come my eight year old PC handles Mint 13 (last service 6 years ago) with no problems and my new PC,less than a year old will not because of vid card and/or xorg problems? There must be something wrong somewhere. Ubuntu 12.04 and PinguysOS 12.04 work on both of my PC's without problem. I keep seeing this ' Your computer is too old' all over this forum. There must be a way of solving this problem surely.
Update...AND there is,for me anyway here...http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=106645
Last edited by george238 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

I totally Agree with you George. Something is screwed up in Mint 13 because other versions ran fine. Notice how "Nobody" responds? It's like they know there is a problem, but don't want to talk about it so their way of trying to make it "GO" away is telling everyone your equipment is too old. OR manufacture hasn't updated the driver. Listen the driver from ATI on this card hasn't been updated since 2006, BUT Linux Mint ran on it all the way up to Mint 13.

I can run Windows 7 on this computer... 7! It's new and a huge load but it runs perfect.

I think someone screwed something up building Mint 13 and they don't want to admit to it. Because now Linux has a reputation or working on anything to now you need new hardware to run it. The most lightweight, easiest, dominating, flexible Linux Distro is now not compatible with everything.... I'm telling you there is a cover up somewhere.

The biggest Clue is how nobody responds to everyone crying there is a problem with Video in Mint 13.

Watch this post vanish, be bashed or I'm banned for saying this.

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

What's wrong with the latest Nividia drivers. :(
A few weeks ago they installed fine..... now they fail to install in kde and mess up the default driver.
Use to work on Cinnamon, now my Pc refuses to load Cinnamon after installing and I end up in some fall back mode.

This all worked fine a few weeks ago..

I have Nividia 9800gt based video card... :D

I think there needs to be some easy way to load earlier video drivers because the new ones suck..... :evil:
Last edited by Stennie on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

That's because there is something wrong with Mint 13.

I just did a search on Linux Distro's and Mint 13 moved to spot #1 of all the Distro's but I think with this Video Issue they are going to fall right back down out of slot 1. And they can't say there is not a issue because read the message board of all the people complaining and having issues with Video.

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

Its not only mint 13..
I run Netrunner kde and the installs worked fine a few weeks ago.... now the Nividia driver fails to install and cripples the system default drive.

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

I totally understand where you're coming from trust me.

I'm very upset they are playing the blaming game. I thought this community was Great at coming together and fixing things. Open Source right? Things get fixed faster.

I'm so pissed off they blame my equipment. I spent all morning writing everyone that gave reviews on these Distro's to go back and read there is a video issue.

They can ban me, kick me, I just don't care if I can speak up about a problem to show there is a problem... maybe they will fix it.

Stennie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Stennie »

I don't think the mint guys can easily solve these problems.
The problems are coming from upstream and they also have no control over propriety video drivers.

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

Very True, but the more people complain or know about it... the better the chance of the issue getting back upstream.

Did you know in this Forum there is a entire Forum dedicated to the Video Issues in Mint 13? I just found it and wow so many problems.

The question you have to ask.... Ok so manufacturers stopped supporting old cards. No big deal right? But why does Microsoft still support them? I can load Windows 7 on the old machine and it works fine. Now ask why Linux doesn't, but yet it did? That's the question I want answered.

rickinfl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rickinfl »

Awwww So there is a problem :) I got a response to one of the people that wrote a review on Mint 13 (Very Large Website) and here is his response. (Maybe now they will not blame us)

"Clem, Mint's lead, is working on it."

Return to “Hardware Support”