Desktop Freezes Randomly

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerozero

Re: Desktop Freezes Randomly

Post by zerozero »

richardsdma wrote:that is becaude cinnamon (and unity too) is crap, it is a waste of time and resources.
i cant underestend why people dont just use gnome 3. catalyst doesnt match with compiz.
cinnamon doesn't use compiz, same as gnome-shell.

and also you should refrain the absolute affirmations: what is not good for you may be wonderful for others.
richardsdma

Post by richardsdma »

i can tell you man that i am pissed off.
as you can see...linux has only 1-2% of desktop market. the comunity must focus on fewer DE. instead of having 10 DE full of bugs, it is much better to have 3 rock solid DE (xfce, gnome 3, kde)
it is very sad for me that mint has no main gnome 3 edition.
with all this problems, i dont see the rise of the market share within 5-10 years. goddamn sad!
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

richardsdma, this is not the chat section of the forums. Unless you have constructive input for OP and others facing a problem they want to solve on their chosen desktop environment, please move such discussions to the chat section. This section is for support.
joepmcfarren

Post by joepmcfarren »

Here is the step by step Desktop Freezes Randomly.

1.Please upgrade the display gamer from the link:http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=BUIGP
2. If it’s an movie, would recommend you to try to watch it in “Safe Method with Networking”.
3. Meanwhile, upgrade the newest edition of BIOS from Dell's assistance site. To upgrade the newest edition of BIOS, go to back up.dell.com > click on Motorists & Downloading > place the program Service Tag > choose the os you are using >go to BIOS > obtain the newest edition of BIOS
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

richardsdma wrote:that is becaude cinnamon (and unity too) is crap, it is a waste of time and resources.
i cant underestend why people dont just use gnome 3. catalyst doesnt match with compiz.
Trying reading this and gives the reason why people aren't flocking to gnome 3
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3.html
or
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=205&t=97677

Gnome 3 developers' attitude (which shows extreme arrogance and contempt towards the end user) sums it up for me.
What seems sufficient and right for you does not make it more valid and right for others.
bbbaldie

Post by bbbaldie »

Note my experiences here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=117989

I upgraded to the 3.3.6 kernel, no lockups since. Something to do with the default kernel and the i5 processor not getting along. Upgrading killed my wireless, the linked thread shows my fix.
branded_heretic

Post by branded_heretic »

Returning to the topic of discussion, I have the same problem using Gnome Classic which should be very stable, and It's almost always while logged on. The mouse is lost, and the keyboard is lost and won't respond to [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Back Space], and I'm forced to warm reboot, which can't be good for any file system. It's not the power supply, because it still happens after extra drives are disconnected. I've written a few Windows screen savers, and eventually I was able to get them to look and run the same under Win95, 98, XP, and Windows 7. The one most important thing I learned was any attempt to cheat on the proper handling of GDI and it's functions resulted in system hangs, and or bad output, that eventually led to system hangs or stoppages after so many iteration loops, since a screen saver is a timer loop.

So the suspects are Mozilla Firefox, Gnome Classic, the window manager and the X11 subsystem that the window manager uses. Since this is a multi Session issue, say Gnome Classic and Cinnamon, without knowing a lot about programming in a Linux environment, or X11 or the window manager in use, which are all output devices from a code point of view, I would say the problem is the desktop output or Firefox to wither the window manager, or that X11 subsystem.

It's not a hardware problem, what's causing the desktop freeze is a software memory management issue, which could be solved by a well documented and standardized software interface between the desktop, their applications and the what ever subsystem is dealing with user input and graphical output.

One method of further investigation would be to log into another desktop, that uses a different window manager, maybe Xfce, and see if that hangs, if it doesn't then it points to the window manager. Keep in mind I'm new at this stuff.

Return to “Hardware Support”