Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Unholy Cow
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint13 Maya x64 (KDE) and catalyst 12.6 underscan issue

Post by Unholy Cow »

In catalyst 12.6, I've been experiencing a default underscanning on my hdmi monitor. No matter the setting on CCC, I still have to fiddle with the slider each time I boot. Is this a known issue with a known solution (yes I did a search...) ? The same issue is had under windows Operating Environment (I dual boot) but the solution for windows won't work here (new registry key did the trick on windows, not sure how to get this done in Linux however).

Also, I'm a linux noob for the largest part. I've used a few Ubuntu/Kubuntu installations, but I've never grown into any kind of expert.

Using a Radeon 6850. Mint 13 x64 KDE version. Using the proprietary driver.

Unholy Cow
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LinuxMint13 Maya x64 (KDE) and catalyst 12.6 underscan i

Post by Unholy Cow »

Is my question not clear?
Am I asking in the wrong forum?
Or do people simply not know the answer?

johnb0647
Level 1
Level 1

Post by johnb0647 »

I'm no expert but I believe this is the same problem I had with my Radeon HD 4250.

According to the OEM of my monitor (Chimei) this is a known problem with the Catalyst Driver.

> Start AMD Catalyst Control Center in Admin mode
> Select DISPLAY MANAGER
> Select DTV(1)
> Select ADJUSTMENTS tab
> in the SCALING OPTIONS box adjust the OVERSCAN slider as needed. For me it was "Overscan 0%"
> Click APPLY

That fixed it permanently for me.

Unholy Cow
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Unholy Cow »

So I found an answer that fixed my problem, this command fixed it :

sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

Thanks for the effort John, really appreciate the attempt. It's better than dead silence.

dharmax
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dharmax »

Congratz - i envy you that the driver works for you :-)

i've been through hell and back trying to get it to work properly. Unsuccessfully. Thus i have to work with lower resolution (1280x1024) on my widescreen (1900 width) with not 3D accelleration :)

When i install the driver, i see artifacts or jitter in my screen and a message on the low right, saying the "hardware is not supported".
i even tried to replace the kernel to 3.5 (btw - i wonder, why isn't it the current official kernel in Mint? It is in ubuntu) for no avail. i took this step because i read somewhere that the propriatery driver need kernel 3.4 and up to work. However, the new kernel has a flaw: whenever i Switch-User or Logout, the computer freezes.

My machine is i5 with Radeon 7740 graphic adaptor (Mint KDE 13)

If someone would be able to give me a working advice - that would be superbly appreciated!

Blessings

Return to “Hardware Support”