9600gt/64bit question

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
freshandminty

Re: 9600gt/64bit question

Post by freshandminty »

Mattd4AX3,

I'm building a new box as well, going Intel for the first time and I'm getting at least 1 9600gt to start. Some of my parts are already in transit. I still need to order a couple, I've been watching for some decent deals waiting to the proc prices to start dropping on those that have been out since new chips just got released or will be soon. Anyways, I'll keep you posted if I run into any problems concerning the 9600gt if any arise. I'm hoping things will go smoothly so I can experience some Compiz goodness finally ;)

Also, Slocker is correct, for things like video encoding and such, x64(64bit) is prob the better way to go. For general use, x86(32bit) should work fine. If you are a heavy gamer, eh....you could probably go either way. 32bit will not recognize more than about 3.5GB of ram and as far as I know, this applys to Linux as well as Windows. 64bit gets past that limitation but I can't remember what the upper end ram cap is.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Hardware Support”