Shutdown and Restart Hang

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brolin1911a1

Shutdown and Restart Hang

Post by brolin1911a1 »

I'm running Linux Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit edition with Cinnamon 1.4 desktop on a 64-bit dual boot Phenom II computer. It's a great alternative to Ubuntu 12.04 but I'm having one minor problem.

When I click on "Restart" or "Shutdown," I get a terminal screen that scrolls through several screens worth of messages, and then it simply hangs. I've waited as long as half an hour in case something was just slow but it's simply locked up. The only way to get the computer back is to do a power-off restart.

And no, I don't know how to capture the screens of information prior to the computer freezing.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
timppu

Re: Shutdown and Restart Hang

Post by timppu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=114996

You might want to try some of the things I've tried already (unsuccessfully). I have a bit similar problem, but for me restart works, but shutdown does not power down the system as it should. I googled a lot for it, and some of those suggestions seemed to work for some, among them people where restart didn't work either.

There seem to be lots of optional fixes that might or might not work.
brolin1911a1

Post by brolin1911a1 »

timppu wrote:http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=114996

You might want to try some of the things I've tried already (unsuccessfully). I have a bit similar problem, but for me restart works, but shutdown does not power down the system as it should. I googled a lot for it, and some of those suggestions seemed to work for some, among them people where restart didn't work either.

There seem to be lots of optional fixes that might or might not work.
And those things are..... ? My Google-fu was weak. That's how I ended up here. What were some of the things you tried?

Oops! I missed that link. I'll try them.

You were right. Those suggestions don't work for me either. The irony is that Windows Vista and Ubuntu (11.04 through 12.04) seem to shutdown just fine. Only Mint is giving me that problem.
tilman victor

Post by tilman victor »

Does the problem persist if you disable wlan support (i.e. prevent the kernel module from loading at boot time)?
timppu

Post by timppu »

brolin1911a1 wrote: The irony is that Windows Vista and Ubuntu (11.04 through 12.04) seem to shutdown just fine. Only Mint is giving me that problem.
For me at least Ubuntu has exactly the same problem, 11.04 and the latest 12.04.1. I don't quite recall if it was the same back when I tried also some other, older Linux distros like some Fedoras, but I think I've had this no-poweroff problem on that machine with many Linux distros. Come to think of it, I did try the latest CentOS on it too, and I think it had the same problem too. Not fully sure though.

With WinXP no such problems, so that hardware should be up to it (APM or ACPI?).

By the way, does e.g. "sudo poweroff" power down your system correctly? Or some of the other shutdown commands from the command line? For many people the problem seemed to be that powering down worked from the command line, but for some reason not from the shutdown menu item.

Return to “Hardware Support”