[Solved] ATI Radeon driver instalation problem

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nolanic

[Solved] ATI Radeon driver instalation problem

Post by nolanic »

Hi everyone. I'm trying to instal a driver in Linux mint for my integrated Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250. I have a Dell Inspiron m5030 and I'm a newbie in Linux and instaled it recently. I tryed different stuff like: from a simple doubleclick on the driver file, till doing something through Terminal. It just wont work. When i double click the driver, it says:
Could not open the file /media/data/programs/del…ller-11-12-x86.x86_64.run.
pluma has not been able to detect the character encoding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character encoding from the menu and try again.

As i understand i should start this file as a program. But when i try to check the box (Allow executing file as a program ) from properties, the box unchecks back automaticaly.

Please somebody tell me what to do in order to make this thing work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nolanic

Re: ATI Radeon driver instalation problem

Post by nolanic »

Hi again everyone.
After spending some time i finly got to the botom of it (Almost). I couldn't encrees the quality of the display view, but i installed the new driver. First i copyed the driver from drive (e) to my (home) directory. I dodn't know why, but only there i can change the files permissions. So i set the (Alow to run as program) permission, or somthing like that. Then i opened the terminal and wrote the following comands:
su -
(entered password)
cd ..
cd home/nolanic.../... (home/nolanic.../...) is the path to the driver instalation file
./ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run --force

where (ati-driver-installer-11-12-x86.x86_64.run) is the instalation file name and (--force) is for allowing the program to overwrite the existing driver files.

After all this proces i just folowed the instalation wizard and done.
Hope that this post will be usefull for somebody.

Return to “Hardware Support”