How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Postby Orbmiser » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

Just checking ahead of time. As have a Wired Usb keyboard & mouse that am thinking of replacing.
And may be a wireless versions of those.

So wondering if Linux polls devices on boot and inserts required drivers? Or something I have to to do?

And preparing myself ahead of time what may be trouble-free? or a hassle?
Thanks.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: How does Linux deal with Hardware swaps?

Postby wayne128 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:08 pm

Orbmiser wrote:Just checking ahead of time. As have a Wired Usb keyboard & mouse that am thinking of replacing.
And may be a wireless versions of those.

So wondering if Linux polls devices on boot and inserts required drivers? Or something I have to to do?

And preparing myself ahead of time what may be trouble-free? or a hassle?
Thanks.

Orbmiser,
I do not know how Linux works :evil:

But my expectation on usb mouse and usb keyboard, at least wired versions,
is Plug and Play.
There should be NO need to do anything!!

All my wired keyboards, mouse ( some 10 sets) from various purchases ( Dell, Acer, NEC, Asus, Samsung, Microsoft, Logitech, some other unbranded versions) are all plug and play for 'most linux os'. I cannot tell you ALL because.. :evil: :evil: one in a while some linux os just oops :mrgreen:

As for wireless keyboard and mouse, they have bluetooth transmitter and little receiver for you to plug into usb slot, as such you expect a little bit of issue if your linux os had bluetooth issue ( google you can tell).
I would avoid wireless kb/mouse...unless you want to watch monitor in a distance like watching TV.
as I get older, I knew one thing: prolong using wireless mouse hurt the wrist/joint....

Return to “Hardware Support”