nadia and nvidea

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
burlosan

nadia and nvidea

Post by burlosan »

Hello,
I built new AMD 1045t 6 core with onboard graphics. Installed Linux Mint Nadia. Worked fine. Then I installed Geforce 660 2G ddr5 graphics card. Many error messages but still ran. Decided to reload Nadia. Now when I get to login it fails to take the user name and password but reboots to login screen over and over. I can log in from console. I've tried every fix I can find from console but nothing has fixed the problem. Any suggestions appreciated.

Addendum: Hate to say, but two days later I gave up and tried other distros. Amazingly, a very new distro, SolydK, loaded without prob, recognized need for latest nvidea driver, downloaded and installed it. Runs great, CUDA up and running. Keeping Mint (I can cheat on you baby, but I just cant leave you), on two other machines, but for the moment SolydK is what I need with this card. Maybe someone could put together SolydMint, LOL.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
anamnesis

Re: nadia and nvidea

Post by anamnesis »

Hi
I don't know if it works for you, but I faced a very similar prob. Installed fresh Mint 14 and brand new NVidia GT 640 today. System booted to login screen. I even could write username/passwd, then <enter> the screen went black, and after 3 seconds or so the login screen came back and so on and so on. So I hitted ctrl-alt-F2, logged in and did:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
when finished: sudo reboot
now I'm running nvidia 304.xx /kernel 3.5.xx
Because I (and zillions other googlers) had a lot of trouble with kernel 3.8.xx /nvidia-3.10/13 last week (Mint, Ubuntu, Chakra, Fedora and and and), I leave it as it is and wait for a proper fix.
HTH
anamnesis

Re: nadia and nvidea

Post by anamnesis »

update:
after reboot mess again! Boot stops at udev start/running, process 336. Several dirty recovery boots -> Repair packages -> "normal" boot. I wonder what's going on. In the past (good old nv-times!) installing the current nvidia-driver in Linux was a piece of cake. I'm struggling with this really basic process for a week now. First I thought it's the 3.8.xx Kernel / 3.10 nvidia driver and my dieing older GT 430. But it seems there is more trouble under the hood. I think I will purge nvidia and stick to nouveau till hopefully - all is sorted.
Regards

Return to “Hardware Support”