Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
amalafrozalam
Level 1
Level 1

Hard Drive Files Disappearing

Post by amalafrozalam »

So I have 2 external drives connected by USB to a machine that is supposed to run as a network server. People in our lab are supposed to be able to just ssh into the machine and dump files onto the hard drives.

The problem is that after someone logs in say a day or two later, after no one else has used it, the files disappear! The drive is still shown as mounted, and you can still travel through the directory tree. However the files are missing, not even hidden. Any ideas?

The dock for the two hard drives is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817153112
The two hard drives are these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822152245
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Hard Drive Files Disappearing

Post by Redondo »

Can you find any of these files in a trash somewhere's? How about the log files. Maybe they will point you to when they got deleted.
amalafrozalam
Level 1
Level 1

Post by amalafrozalam »

Nope. They aren't in any of the trashes at all. What happens is that they seem like they disappeared. So I unmount, then remount the drive as root, and whoa the files are back!

But why do they disappear in the first place?
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5

Post by OldManHook »

amalafrozalam wrote:Nope. They aren't in any of the trashes at all. What happens is that they seem like they disappeared. So I unmount, then remount the drive as root, and whoa the files are back!

Maybe You Could Help Us Here :)...What OS are you Using?...What Kind Of Computers and OS's Adcess The Drives... Do all cause this Problem
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

amalafrozalam wrote:Nope. They aren't in any of the trashes at all. What happens is that they seem like they disappeared. So I unmount, then remount the drive as root, and whoa the files are back!

If you unmount and mount the partition as root, and files are restored, its a permissions issue.

You mentioned that people in the lab use sssh to your machine.
The first thing you need to do is contact your companies IT support. This will be a simple permissions/group/
networl issue that they should be able to handle.

The information you need to provide to them is contents of filesystem table, and group information.

When you create a file on your machine it automatically creates the files group ID with the ID of its owner.

For example if I am a user called "tux" and create a file called "test"

touch test
tux@orac ~ $ ls -l test
-rw-rw-r-- 1 tux tux 0 Jun 2 20:41 test

You can see that above file test was created by user tux and is in group tux. Other users can only read this file.
Depending on how the drive is mounted can affect file permissions, so your IT group should be settings up a
common group that every user has access to on your network. In any case, pass them also the output of

cat /etc/fstab
mount
groups

from your machine to make their job easier.

Return to “Hardware Support”