Linux Mint 15 on Optimus - Bumblebee works NVIDIA/Intel

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nw1760

Re: Linux Mint 15 on Optimus - Bumblebee works NVIDIA/Intel

Post by nw1760 »

Could I get some help with Mint 15 and Optimus? I have the new razer blade 14" and haven't gotten the nvidia card to work yet with Bumbblebee. I am missing a step somewhere. I think boblob and _John got it working on the razer blade pro.

Here is what I tried:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get autoremove bumblebee
sudo apt-get purge bumblebee
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-319 nvidia-319-settings
sudo apt-get install primus
Then, went into /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf and changed all nvidia-current to nvidia-319.

I still get an error saying unable to find second card when running the optimus command. Could you guys give me the steps and packages needed to get this working from a fresh install on Mint 15 and ubuntu 13.04? I must be missing a step somewhere.
robert-e

Post by robert-e »

For what it is worth: I tried to install Nvidia 310 in fedora 19 64 bit kernel 3.9 with an Nvidia Go 7150M/ Optimus 630M (which the nvidia site claims are the same, and also claims that Nvidia version 310 was the driver to use. Contrary-wise, the install errored out saying that version 304 was the last one that supported that gpu and that with kernel only up to 3.9; kernel 3.10 was not supported. I uninstalled all the nvidia stuff, and started over with 304, and it went without error. (You need the kernel headers, obviously.)

Hope this sheds some light on your problem.

Regards,
Bob
bananasplit

Post by bananasplit »

Hi.
I did exactly what is written in this forum about installing bumblebee and getting it to work on an intel-nvidia optimus laptop.
I think bumblebee is working because my battery life is greatly extended. Thanks for your instructions!
However I still experience crash everytime I run firefox or libreoffice. The whole screen freezes and ctrl+alt+backspace cant do anything.
The mouse wont move and the only thing I can do is to turn off the power button.
Please help me with this because I really love Linux mint and I dont want to change my OS.
Thanks!
riveale

Successful Nvidia Linux on Razer Blade 14 (2013)

Post by riveale »

I have the new razer blade 14 and I have got everything to work on linux (including optimus/nvidia card, webcam, etc.). Note I had to install a different linux distro (manjaro linux) because I couldn't get it to work on linux mint (even with 325 nvidia drivers and kernel 3.11, I guess they didn't put that patch in for the way the nvidia card is connected).

However, it's a stand in until the linux mint kernels catch up to supporting the way the nvidia card is connected.

Here are my notes:

STEPS TO GET RAZER BLADE 14 WORKING WITH LINUX:

Note: I am a computer scientists/computational neuroscientist, so my needs may be slightly different from yours. But, generally my uses are:
-Basic everyday use as primary machine (presentations, connecting to internet, browsing, music, long battery life, etc. etc. etc.)
-Running code via CUDA on GPU (C++)
-Playing 3d games on nvidia GPU (e.g. heroes of newerth linux client)

I got all these things to work nicely. So, my setup will get it in condition to do this type of thing.

Follows are problems, fixes, and notes about what works.

--PROBLEM: BIG (initial) problems with nvidia card.
Solution: Had to switch to manjaro linux, use a special patch on the 3.9 kernel to get the ACHI/ACPI stuff to work correctly. 325 driver. NOTE format USB drive to fat16 or fat32 (mkfs.vfat /dev/usbstick) before you write the iso image to it. I now get a draw of about 9 W with wireless on and half brightness while browsing, giving 6-7 hours of battery life.

Had to switch everything in bios to legacy mode to install linux (UEFI was messing stuff up). (also disable quiet boot, fast boot, etc., and mess around turn on that thing to let you set everything to legacy mode).

This (manjaro 0.87) only got kernel 3.4, so X wouldn't start initially because of haswell video stuff (i915 drivers?) not supported in that early kernel.
Had to connect to internet via command line networkmanager (nmcli, connect to network, etc.). Don't remember the exact commands but you can google it.

Updated system with:
sudo pacman -Syu

Now X works and we have integrated card running, now we need to patch to the kernel that has the support for the bbswitch AHCI (ACPI?) stuff that the nvidia card is connected to in the razer blade 14. I followed this chain of links:

via https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=168622
http://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?topic=5936.msg54059#msg54059

Basically, inside manjaro you run
sudo pacman -Syu
wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/packages/bbswitchfix/"$(uname -m)"/linux39-bbswitchfix-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/packages/bbswitchfix/"$(uname -m)"/linux39-bbswitchfix-headers-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/packages/bbswitchfix/"$(uname -m)"/linux39-bbswitchfix-bbswitch-0.6-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && wget http://www.paradoxcomputers.com.au/manjaro/packages/bbswitchfix/"$(uname -m)"/linux39-bbswitchfix-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && sudo pacman -U linux39-bbswitchfix-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-headers-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-bbswitch-0.6-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && rm linux39-bbswitchfix-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-headers-3.9.11-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-bbswitch-0.6-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz linux39-bbswitchfix-nvidia-325.15-1-"$(uname -m)".pkg.tar.xz && echo "** NOW REBOOT AND SELECT THE -bbswitchfix KERNEL FROM YOUR GRUB MENU **"

Then had to go inside /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf and set Driver=nvidia (it was noveau for some reason, causing big problem when I tried to start optirun etc.).

Then reboot, and your nvidia/bumblebee/bbswitch should all be working dandy!

You can check it with lspci | grep 3D (should be rev ff if turned off, rev a1 or something when its on).
Can try :
optirun glxgears

--PROBLEM: WEBCAM FLASHING (red-green etc. when indoors). Also in VLC etc., regardless of nvidia/intel GPU. (this also happens in windows -- haha those poor suckers)
FIXED by downloading guvcview and turning off white balance temperature/auto.

--PROBLEM: Battery charge threshold (always charges to 100%) can't be set?
Need solution from razer (I don't think this can be done in windows either -- I'm scared to try the thinkpad utilities b/c might brick battery?)

--PROBLEM: Touchpad multitouch doesn't work b/c no driver (jittery, double-click doesn't work, slide scroll doesn't work, no turn off when typing, etc.)
Need driver from razer (no synaptics available)
Some discussion (razer says it's proprietary hardware): http://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions/comments/1jjelv/help_getting_mouse_working_on_razer_blade_14/
I found a forum post where someone was starting to reverse engineer it, but I can't find it again.
(xinput -list and the other thing shows there's no synaptics available.)

--PROBLEM: Hardware brightness control doesn't work (function f8/f9). But, can do it from within linux software.
Need solution (driver for keyboard?) from razer

--PROBLEM: Battery applet thing doesn't display discharge rate etc. (battery isn't recognized maybe?)
Solution: you can see via terminal (dunno where fans are though):
cat /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent
Note, I also tried "sensors" program (lm_sensors) which at one time caused some weird screen colors (no problem after reboot) (when I let it do all the possible sensors, nvidia card etc...?)
Also used powertop, but that wasn't reporting discharge...

PROBLEM WITH MY MACHINE (?): Some weird jittering sound from left fan in back (at a certain angle)

PROBLEM WITH MY MACHINE (?): Screen is slightly off flush when closed (hinge on back-right is slightly off, causing it?). But <1 mm, barely noticable, but hopefully won't cause problems later on.

OBSERVATION (REVIEW): Screen is nice. No "pressure points" from carrying it in bag all day even. Don't know how it will react to doing that in heat/cold though, or being banged around significantly.

EXTERNAL SPEAKERS work
HEADPHONES work (properly turns off speakers when plug in jack, etc.)
SUSPEND/HIBERNATE works (?)

--WORKS: Hardware keyboard backlight control DOES work

--WORKS: print screen (fn+f12) DOES work

--WORKS: volume control (fn + f2/f3) DOES work

--WORKS: pgup/pgdown/home/end (fn + left/right/up/down arrow keys) DOES work.

--WORKS: HDMI-VGA output to external screen.
For VGA connection via HDMI, had to go via XFCE "display" program (just using the hardware switch didn't work so hot I think?). And adjust resolution, etc.
HDMI->VGA (for presentations) works nice (using QVS HDMI to VGA adapter HDVGA-ME)

--WORKS: USB ethernet plug and play:
USB ethernet works nice (using DLILNK USB 2.0 fast ethernet adapter DUB-E100).

Some other things I did (personal stuff, needed Japanese input, needed java RXTX, etc.)

get Japanese IME input to work: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sm ... d_platform

after installing scim-anthy and anthy:

in: ~/.xprofile

export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
scim -d

NOTE: packages opencv, gsl, java jdk, skype, etc. all went smoothly. vlc plays fine.

For virtualbox:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox
needed to do dkms stuff (i.e. select dkms option for the module stuff when you do -- for me it was option 5:)
sudo pacman -S virtualbox

HOW to install java RXTX:

from AUR:
Download rxtx package from https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/rxtx/

mv file into a directory (e.g. ~/aur_packages)
tar xfz packagefile.tar.gz
cd packagefile
makepkg -s #-s resolves dependencies?
sudo pacman -U packagefile/packagefile.pkg.tar.xz

I also had to do (b/c dir structure was a bit different).
sudo ln -s /usr/share/java/rxtx/RXTXcomm.jar /usr/share/java/RXTXcomm.jar
mint-me
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mint-me »

Some better Optimus support at the Kernel level is coming...

GPU Runtime Power Management Coming For Linux 3.12
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ0ODM

DRM Graphics Updates Sent In For Linux 3.12
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1NDg
Debian 11 Bullseye Xfce: HP Notebook 15 BS143TU Intel® Core™ i5-8250U, 8GB DDR4 2400Mhz, Intel® UHD Graphics 620, 1366x768 15.6", 1 TB SATA
dreiche2

Post by dreiche2 »

Haha riveale I'm in a very similar situation (as in, I'm also a computational neuroscientist!). I've been thinking of getting the Razer Blade 14 but it sounds like there is still a lot of issues. Perhaps it makes sense to wait for better support, in particular in Mint?
riveale

Post by riveale »

The only real issue is the touchpad still needs a better driver (It works, just not great).

Everything else works. I'd actually recommend it if you don't mind switching linux distros temporarily (you might like it, I kind of do...), it's a really nice computer.
riveale

Post by riveale »

mint-me wrote:Some better Optimus support at the Kernel level is coming...

GPU Runtime Power Management Coming For Linux 3.12
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ0ODM

DRM Graphics Updates Sent In For Linux 3.12
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ1NDg
mint-me: sweet, thanks for that link, looking forward to that stuff, but that'll be a bit before it shows up in mint... :)
GiggleGut

Post by GiggleGut »

_John wrote:Hi all, I got a question about how I got the system to work with my new nvidia card:

purge all of bumblebee and nvidida drivers:

sudo apt-get autoremove bumblebee
sudo apt-get purge bumblebee
sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
rebooted and installed bumblebee afresh:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-source linux-headers-generic
sudo apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
installed nvidia-319 driver from edgers:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get install nvidia-319*
installed primus as an alternative backend:

sudo apt-get install primus
sudo apt-get install primus-libs-ia32:i386
went into /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf and ensured it looked like the attached, ie with nvidia-319 everywhere
# Configuration file for Bumblebee. Values should **not** be put between quotes

## Server options. Any change made in this section will need a server restart
# to take effect.
[bumblebeed]
# The secondary Xorg server DISPLAY number
VirtualDisplay=:8
# Should the unused Xorg server be kept running? Set this to true if waiting
# for X to be ready is too long and don't need power management at all.
KeepUnusedXServer=false
# The name of the Bumbleblee server group name (GID name)
ServerGroup=bumblebee
# Card power state at exit. Set to false if the card shoud be ON when Bumblebee
# server exits.
TurnCardOffAtExit=false
# The default behavior of '-f' option on optirun. If set to "true", '-f' will
# be ignored.
NoEcoModeOverride=false
# The Driver used by Bumblebee server. If this value is not set (or empty),
# auto-detection is performed. The available drivers are nvidia and nouveau
# (See also the driver-specific sections below)
Driver=nvidia
# Directory with a dummy config file to pass as a -configdir to secondary X
XorgConfDir=/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.d

## Client options. Will take effect on the next optirun executed.
[optirun]
# Acceleration/ rendering bridge, possible values are auto, virtualgl and
# primus.
Bridge=auto
# The method used for VirtualGL to transport frames between X servers.
# Possible values are proxy, jpeg, rgb, xv and yuv.
VGLTransport=proxy
# List of paths which are searched for the primus libGL.so.1 when using
# the primus bridge
PrimusLibraryPath=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/primus:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/primus
# Should the program run under optirun even if Bumblebee server or nvidia card
# is not available?
AllowFallbackToIGC=false

# Driver-specific settings are grouped under [driver-NAME]. The sections are
# parsed if the Driver setting in [bumblebeed] is set to NAME (or if auto-
# detection resolves to NAME).
# PMMethod: method to use for saving power by disabling the nvidia card, valid
# values are: auto - automatically detect which PM method to use
# bbswitch - new in BB 3, recommended if available
# switcheroo - vga_switcheroo method, use at your own risk
# none - disable PM completely
# https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu ... PM-methods

## Section with nvidia driver specific options, only parsed if Driver=nvidia
[driver-nvidia]
# Module name to load, defaults to Driver if empty or unset
KernelDriver=nvidia-319
PMMethod=bbswitch #auto
# colon-separated path to the nvidia libraries
LibraryPath=/usr/lib/nvidia-319:/usr/lib32/nvidia-319
# comma-separated path of the directory containing nvidia_drv.so and the
# default Xorg modules path
XorgModulePath=/usr/lib/nvidia-319/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules
XorgConfFile=/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia

## Section with nouveau driver specific options, only parsed if Driver=nouveau
[driver-nouveau]
KernelDriver=nouveau
PMMethod=auto
XorgConfFile=/etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nouveau
rebooted

and then it worked
I have a Clevo W230ST laptop with Nvidia gtx 765m. I followed your directions but it didn't work when I tried optirun glxspheres. I've been working on this for a few days with no luck. I decided to try your method because of identical graphics card.

larry@W230ST ~ $ glxspheres
Polygons in scene: 62464
Visual ID of window: 0x20
Context is Direct
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile 
61.155758 frames/sec - 68.249826 Mpixels/sec
59.934504 frames/sec - 66.886907 Mpixels/sec
59.974969 frames/sec - 66.932066 Mpixels/sec
59.975019 frames/sec - 66.932122 Mpixels/sec
59.975362 frames/sec - 66.932504 Mpixels/sec
59.974776 frames/sec - 66.931850 Mpixels/sec
59.971025 frames/sec - 66.927664 Mpixels/sec
59.852705 frames/sec - 66.795619 Mpixels/sec
larry@W230ST ~ $ optirun glxspheres
[  111.182009] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA GPU at PCI:1:0:0.  Please

[  111.182039] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.
larry@W230ST ~ $ 

larry@W230ST ~ $ sudo lshw -C video
[sudo] password for larry: 
  *-display               
       description: 3D controller
       product: GK106M [GeForce GTX 765M]
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: irq:16 memory:f6000000-f6ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:e000(size=128) memory:f7000000-f707ffff
  *-display
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Haswell Integrated Graphics Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 06
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
       resources: irq:46 memory:f7400000-f77fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:f000(size=64)
MacCruiskeen

Post by MacCruiskeen »

GiggleGut wrote:
_John wrote:

I have a Clevo W230ST laptop with Nvidia gtx 765m. I followed your directions but it didn't work when I tried optirun glxspheres. I've been working on this for a few days with no luck. I decided to try your method because of identical graphics card.
Ihave one of these new Clevos as well, and this didn't work for me either. It got me closer than I've been able to get otherwise, but it failed to build the driver. The xorg-edgers failed, and the driver from nvidia also failed. I should say, I have also updated the kernel to 3.11 for the benefit of my wireless card. I gather there may be some issue with this and the nvidia driver. It did give me a warning about the cc not matching.

But now Connamon is crashing and glxspheres does not run at all--I get this nessage:

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
ERROR (593): Could not obtain RGB visual with requested properties

So clearly I have brooken something. Anyone have a clue what I do to fix it? I am understanding why Linux gave nvidia the finger.
LinuxN00bTM

Post by LinuxN00bTM »

It worked for me,thank you.
After i rebooted to rEFInd boot manager, I got a second linux icon next to windows, at the end of the bumblebee installation grub was updated.
Did it duplicate another entry, and is there a fix to delete this second icon?
phrostbyte

Post by phrostbyte »

can someone please create a guide for LM16 and optimus? Should we use the latest drivers? 331?
yonisrg

Post by yonisrg »

Hi,
I installed bumblebee on Mint 16 Cinnamon, but it seams that we can't install virtualgl.
So optirun won't work, unless we install primus.
But everything else works : I have an autonomy of 4h30 when 100%, instead 2h when bumblebee wasn't insalled.

Do you know if virtualgl packages will be added?
Should it work if we get it from their website, and in that case, what should we download? All 3 .deb?
Not sure for that.

Thanks for the tutorial !
Thornblom

Post by Thornblom »

So guys, I can't get my Intel graphics to work correct. The expose corner functions is very laggy for example.

inxi -Fx:

Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.4.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.0.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
optirun inxi -Fx;

Graphics:  Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.4.901 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev) FAILED: vesa Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 765M/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 319.60 Direct Rendering: Yes
Can I upgrade the Intel drivers somehow?
karlzap2

Post by karlzap2 »

That line from original, first, post in the thread makes me suspicious. One: no such command as "apt-get-repository". Two: no such thing is found within Synaptic.

I am runnign Mint 16, and this seems to have been written for Mint 15. Perhaps that explains it? Should his thread be considered as obsolete?
carsten888

Post by carsten888 »

I got a integrated intel and a nvidia gforce 765M on Mint 16. I've been trying to install the nvidia driver for a week now (how hard can it be?!)(linux newbee).

$ optirun firefox
gives me

[  868.994392] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE) No devices detected.

[  868.994431] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

I editted /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf Driver=nvidia KernelDriver=nvidia but nothing.
Nouveau is uninstalled (via software manager).

I editted the /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia

BusID "PCI:01:00:0"
to

BusID "01:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK106M [GeForce GTX 765M] (rev a1)"
still same error when $ optirun firefox

any ideas how to get this driver going?
Agrinko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Agrinko »

Thank you! It solved my problem with "Cinnamon has just crashed. Running in fallback mode" while launching Cinnamon on Mint 17. You're the best!
Though I had a problem with small resolution after the installation, but replacing

HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
with

HorizSync 30.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
in /etc/X11/xorg.conf, rebooting and selecting a better resolution in settings helped me then.
B0UJI

Post by B0UJI »

Heya all, i'm in struggletown with my Dell Optimus laptop. Been using it for a while without bumblebee and just using the latest nvidia drivers, switching over manually with Prime. But the tearing is driving me crazy so i've decided to get bumblebee going. It's an intel / Nvidia GTX 850M combo.

I wiped the machine and started from scratch and added the following repositories:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa -y
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linrunner/tlp
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jfi/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mamarley/nvidia

I've then updated everything and installed:
bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia primus linux-headers-generic

Then installed nvidia drivers using:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-346 nvidia-settings

I've edited my bumblebee config to make sure:
line 22 - Driver=nvidia
line 55 - KernelDriver=nvidia-346
line 58 - LibraryPath=/usr/lib/nvidia-346:/usr/lib32/nvidia-346
line 61 - XorgModulePath=/usr/lib/nvidia-346/xorg,/usr/lib/xorg/modules

then I ran the followin command from another posts advice to reinstall bbswitch:
sudo apt-get install --reinstall bbswitch-dkms
sudo /etc/init.d/bumblebeed stop
sudo /etc/init.d/bumblebeed start

I reboot, and then try running primus I get the following error:
~ $ primusrun glxinfo
primus: fatal: Bumblebee daemon reported: error: [XORG] (EE)

And i've got stumped from here. If I run optirun I get:
~ $ optirun glxinfo
[40499.015096] [ERROR]Cannot access secondary GPU - error: [XORG] (EE)

[40499.015239] [ERROR]Aborting because fallback start is disabled.

Does anyone have any ideas or has maybe run into this?

Many thanks in advance and please let me know if there's anymore info I can pull from the system that might help!
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

I think, recently from Mint 17 release nvidia-prime takes care of Optimus devices. No need for bumblebee. Should work by default through device manager.

https://github.com/linuxmint/nvidia-prime

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 23#p861857

https://swapniel99.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... dia-prime/
B0UJI

Post by B0UJI »

Really, yikes.

When you use PRIME by itself, games / web browsing etc... shows massive screen tearing and VSYNC can't be enabled at all. It's not the "biggest" deal in the world... just annoying as all hell :(

Return to “Hardware Support”