Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Sound & Audo Hardware Issues - Acer Ferrari 4000

Postby bemental » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:01 pm

Hello dedicated forum readers!

I am having problems with the sound on my Acer Ferrari 4000 laptop computer. The problem began after I took apart the computer to clean the (notoriously) dirty internals.

I believe that I may have disturbed a wire or something when messing around inside my laptop because the sound worked flawlessly previously. To ensure that it is not a software issue I loaded up the PulseAudio Manager and note that the volume meter does in fact show that sound is being directed to the speakers, both right and left respectively.

I also went step by step to ensure that I have the correct audio drivers installed, using the Comprehensive Sound Audio Solutions Guide (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449).

I am using Linux Mint - Elyssa and have posted in the Ubuntu forums as well. I merely would like the opinion of the forum regarding possible fixes and workarounds (to include PCMCIA and USB audio solutions). Ideally I would love to have the speakers work again but since I created this monster with my incessant tinkering I have no one to blame but myself!

Thank you in advance for any help that is provided!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Sound & Audo Hardware Issues - Acer Ferrari 4000

Postby Husse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:06 pm

If you dare you could open it again :)
Otherwise USB sound cards are cheap and work quite OK
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bemental » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Husse - I did open the case again for kicks to see if I could find any loose wires or connectors... I did much better this time and only ended up with 5 screws leftover instead of the usual 10-15!

USB sound cards are definitely what I was considering, PCMCIA as well. I wish I could just get the darn speakers working again. Unfortunately it effects the headphone port as well, otherwise I wouldn't be too disturbed.

Thank you for the help though!

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:24 pm

clean the (notoriously) dirty internals.

You could have destroyed some circuit with static electricity - it's not to play with and you need to be really careful

bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bemental » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:36 pm

Darn it Husse, I knew this problem was too obscure to receive any help with. Software is one thing but te hardware is all together entirely different!

I suppose I should invest in some USB speakers... At least those ports still work.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Postby Husse » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:09 pm

Yeah - this is a "hands on" type of problem and laptops are even worse than desktops....
But hands on I could probably at least pin point it

bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bemental » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:22 pm

Sweden, right. Did you want to have your buddy send me a money-order worth 3x as much as the laptop so I can forward you the rest of the cash later or are we going to kick this old-school and just pay by cash (had some bad experiences lately selling on craigslist)!

Thanks for your insight and help. I enjoy the tinkering but it looks like I'll just dump this thing.

copycat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby copycat » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:39 pm

I'd open it again.
Speakers are usually connected by very thin twisted cables or a flat ribbon. Take out just the necessary and check that all your ribbons are safely attached and secured.
Do you hear any static or what is that you hear/don't hear exactly?

bemental wrote:Thanks for your insight and help. I enjoy the tinkering but it looks like I'll just dump this thing.

Hold it! if you're in Stockholm, I'll pick it up, don't throw it away!

bemental
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bemental » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:09 am

Hey copycat, I'm definitely not in Sweden but don't worry I'm not actually going to dump it. Sell it perhaps but not just toss it!

I did crack the baby open again and did not find any loose connections to speak of. No sound whatsoever to include no crackling or static.

Return to “Hardware Support”