Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
FaeriesFlame
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Issue - No sound

Post by FaeriesFlame »

Hi, I'm a first time poster here, and would like some help please.

Situation: I've recently bought an SSD, so I've put Linux Mint 15 on it. I hve Mint 13 / Windows too.

Setup: I have dual monitors, the main speakers are attached to the back of a HDMI monitor, which passes Audio through (The monitor has no internal speakers). The headset is plugged in the line-in and line-out ports on the back of the machine.

Issue: My sound hasn't been working. The headset worked fine, but the main speakers did not. My sound settings and pavucontrol (PulseAudio) both only registered the existence of the internal sound device.

The sound works fine on Mint 13 (Maya) and Windows 7. Don't suppose it could be an easy 'copy this from here to here' job? :wink:

What happened next
Next, I tried to install the NVIDIA driovers for it to work, and opened the new proprietary drivers window for Mint. Nothing appeared in there, so I downloaded the ones I thought were right from the website. I managed to get these to install, but then it didn't show the sound icon anymore, and no devices responded. I eventually managed to use the Driver feature in Mint, and have tried out all of the 310 version ones (as these were reccomended), and still no luck.

I've tried DIY-ing PulseAudio and remove/purge-ing it and reinstalling and tried some advice on config files I'd found from google, but no luck.

It currently regiters a "Builtin stereo HDMI" thing, (which I assume is my Motherboard's HDMI out), as this one also shows activity when I view it in pavucontrol and play some audio. Stinn, no sound from either output.

When I run aplay -l (which I'm not sure what does), it gives me:

Code: Select all

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
so it knows that they are there, but PulseAudio doesn't seem to get a hold of them. I get similar to above when I run alsamixer; when I choose 'HDa Nvidia' as my card, it only shows four small boxes wiith '00' in them,

That's pretty much what i've done so far and I have no idea how to continue. Please, can anyone help?
Last edited by FaeriesFlame on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FaeriesFlame
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Issue - No sound

Post by FaeriesFlame »

I'm bumping this, as I still have no clue. I've been using my Linux Mint 13 all week, which is a shame cause Olivia is so much nicer :)

I think that the last post pretty much encompassed it all... Only new information I have is that when I run pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Controller), I can see audio activity in the output section, but none of my devices are playing sound.

Please help me with this. I'm fully willing to get more information if you request it.

Thanks in advance.

ausminter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ausminter »

I'm having sound issues too, as far as I'm concerned pulse audio is just not up to the task.

I've read more threads about this problem in the last few weeks than I can remember and the best suggestion I've found that has helped people was to remove pulse audio and run the Alsa mixer.

This seems to work for the majority of cases, but it didn't work in my case.

Open a terminal and copy and paste this (you will need the current user to be on the sudo list or be logged into the administrator account)

sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio

And then to have GUI front end to the Alsa mixer you'll need to install it

sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
To open the mixer panel you can do it from the menu >sound & video > GNOME ALSA mixer
or you can open it from a terminal

gnome-alsamixer
You will lose your launcher for pulse audio from the panel so you can add a volume control applet/widget to the panel or just use the ALSA mixer.

Some people stil get no sound output after this and need to open the ALSA mixer panel and make sure that the external ampifier is not checked, mine doesn't have any external amplifier option so it's not displayed on the mixer panel.

There is a diagnostic script that can be run to gather all the relevent information about sound drivers and hardware. It will probably take someone with a degree in computer science to interpret it though, but we need to start gathering information in the hope that someone will have the time to collate the information and hopefully find likely problems.
The url to the script & relevant information
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/AlsaInfo

I'm not sure if there are any security implications with posting the results or a link to them online, so it's up to you if you want to post the results or the link to them. (I'm not convinced anyone will read it, but there's always hope someone will try to sort this out)

I think we need a sticky thread for this problem with common solutions and links to the diagnostic script above & for someone to invest some time in investigating the information that script gathers. I've lost count of how many threads & deads ends I've investigated trying to solve my problems and personally know 4 people who've ditched Mint because of sound problems.

vman2010
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vman2010 »

I had the problem of getting to my Line-in to function as well in mint 14 and 15.
I found this worked like a charm in Mint 15
From command line:

pactl load-module module-loopback
Then make sure your volume is not muted on your line in control.
I use pavu gui for that.
Hope that helps.

V.
Registered Linux User 321539

FaeriesFlame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FaeriesFlame »

@Vman:
I've tried using the

pactl load-module module-loopback
,but all that seems to do is give incrementing numbers (21, 22, 23). I've uninstalled PulseAudio now, and it won't return anything.

@Ausminter:

Thanks for your default post. I've tried deleting PulseAudio and running Alsamixer as you've said, but still nothing. When I run gnome-alsamixer, I get:

faerie@Solaris ~ $ gnome-alsamixer
Segmentation fault
I also tried to be clever and did:

faerie@Solaris ~ $ dmesg | grep alsamixer
[   51.477420] gnome-alsamixer[3109]: segfault at 12 ip 00007f8087f807b5 sp 00007fff90de9d88 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3600.0[7f8087f45000+f9000]
[   67.242218] gnome-alsamixer[3175]: segfault at 12 ip 00007f6388a2a7b5 sp 00007fff2f48e678 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.3600.0[7f63889ef000+f9000]
I've also downloaded and installed Qasmixer, and when using the Nvidia card, it just shows some check boxes instead of sliders, as it does on the other mixer devices. I've attached a screenshot of this.

Also, it should be noted that I'm using the nvidia-310 (reccomended) driver (310-44, ubuntu2). I have tried switching between all of these versions available (304 to see if an older version was more stable, 313 to see whether the newer version fixed the problem) but was not successful.

I'm starting to maybe think I will have to completely remove all audio details from my computer and then re-add them so it will pick everything up properly when it comes to detect my audio devices. Is this possible?

Of course, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd be happy to try them ^_^

Thanks again
Attachments
Selected the Nvidia card in QasMixer
Selected the Nvidia card in QasMixer

FaeriesFlame
Level 1
Level 1

Post by FaeriesFlame »

Hi all,

I'm posting what I've found again, in the hopes that it may give someone some inspiration!
I've checked from the thread [url=http://askubuntu.com/questions/202585/pulseaudio-no-sound-card-detected-dummy-output-only]here[/url] and confirmed that no other users are using the device; only me
I've made sure everything is unmuted in alsamixer
Volume control still shows sound being played even though it does not come from any device (attached screenshot)
Cinnamon sound shows no devices (attached screenshot)

From Alsamixer, I've gleaned that it seems to have set my primary (and only?) audio device to my Motherboard's inbuilt HDMI port, but my monitor is hooked up to my NVIDIA card (for gaming in Windows). I could change it, but because my current living space is so small, I have to pull 2 pieces of furniture out to get to my PC, so for this one I just think I'll make the assumption :)

Again, any help would be appreciated, and I'll get any output needed.
Attachments
Pulseaudio
Pulseaudio
Cinnamon
Cinnamon

FaeriesFlame
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Issue - No sound

Post by FaeriesFlame »

For future reference, I've managed to fix this.

Story: (Ignore if you're not bothered of the ins and outs)

I decided to migrate away from Linux Mint to see if there was beter support in other Linux systems. Linux Mint had been good to me, and I'd donated, but I headed out for pastures new. Tried Fedora and was a bit meh, and tried OpenSUSE and really liked it, so I spent an AGE installing and configuring that to suit my needs.

Unfortunately, OpenSUSE had no sound either. After trying a few same-y things and whatnot, I found that the following worked:

aplay -l
This showed all of my audio devices; I'd tried this on Mint too.

aplay -d hw:2,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
This payed the sound as expected. I then added it in to Pulseaudio's Default.pa (shown below) and logged out and in, and it worked perfectly. during my research, someone, somewhere mentioned that it was potentially a Kernel error causing sound to not be detected. I checked the SUSE Kernel with 'uname -r', and noted that it was 3.7, wheras Mint 15 uses 3.8.

Armed with this new knowledge, and having the odd issue or two with SUSE, I headed back to Mint, only to have it give me an error when I tried to play a sound using aplay:

aplay: main:660: audio open error: No such file or directory
So, I used the instructions [url=http://revryl.com/2013/05/01/installupgrade-to-linux-kernel-3-9-stable-in-ubuntulinux-mint/]here[/url] to upgrade my kernel. When I tried this:

aplay -d hw:2,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
...I got an error. But when I tried this:

aplay -d plughw:2,9 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
it worked perfectly. So I went to

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
and added the line:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=plughw:2,9
...gave it a quick reboot, selected my sound card, and voila!

Resolution:

For those of you, like me, who are impatient, do the following:

[code]aplay -l
[/code]

You will see a list of hardware, like so:

*** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC889 Analog [ALC889 Analog]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: ALC889 Digital [ALC889 Digital]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 2: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
then, try each of the proprietary ones (like NVidia for me) with:

aplay -d (plug)hw:X,Y /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
...where x = the card number, and y = the device number. Try it with and without the 'plug' in front of hw (so, plughw: and hw:)
If you hear a sound through the correct speakers using one of these, then add it into your /etc/pulse/default.pa as below. If you get quirky errors for devices you can see are there, do:

uname -r
If you are running the Linux 3.8 kernel, then that is why. Follow the instructions [url=http://revryl.com/2013/05/01/installupgrade-to-linux-kernel-3-9-stable-in-ubuntulinux-mint/]here[/url] to upgrade to kernel 3.9. After the reboot,

uname -r
will confirm your Kernel version. When you're running smoothly on 3.9, try

aplay -l
aplay -d plughw:X,Y /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
...again, where X is the card, and Y is the device from the list. Hopefully, you should get a hit. When you've found the right one, open:

sudo gedit /etc/pulse/default.pa
and added the line:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=plughw:X,Y
...Log out and in again, and you should have the correct audio channel in your sound list, so switch to it and test.

I hope this helps people searching for the same issue. I'll leave this open for a week or so for any further commenting, then close the thread.
Thanks agian for all who helped!

kaspro
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Issue - No sound

Post by kaspro »

Hello, i'm trying your solution now coz i just tried to play a movie on HDMI cable and i couldn't get the sound running
so i tried what you did and found two devices and could make them to work, so i'm trying to add the HDMI device to the default.pa file but the file has alot of modules loaded, so where should i put the module i want to load???

Return to “Hardware Support”