DVD drive no longer recognized

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
homerscousin

DVD drive no longer recognized

Post by homerscousin »

I just this minute discovered this problem. I thought I would post it now and continue troubleshooting in case I don't resolve it in the next whatever minutes or hours. I installed a new hdd a few days ago. It is just sitting connected waiting for Mint 15 KDE rc which is now out. I downloaded that, checked the md5sum, poped in a blank dvd, opened K3b to burn it and K3b says 'no optical device found'. OK, I think I know pretty much what I did. When I installed the new hdd I plugged its sata connector into the port I was using for the dvd and moved the dvd sata connector to another open port so the 2 hdd's would be scsi 0 and scsi 1. The dvd drive was scsi 1. I think that is the problem. The dvd drive is connected to a new port and I probably have to change that manually? The dvd drive is not recognized with lshw and will not play an old dvd- not listed in Dolphin. It opens and closes the draw fine though.

Edit: the 2 hdds are recognized as scsi 0 and scsi 1
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
homerscousin

Re: DVD drive no longer recognized

Post by homerscousin »

Fixed it, I hope. I have 8 sata connectors on mobo. 4 sata 3, 4 sata 2. Apparently 2 of the sata 3 are controlled by the z77 chipset and the other 2 by an ASMedia chip. I have only used the z77 ports until now. My bios settings for the main 2 sata ports was set to AHCI, ok fine. I didn't notice the ASMedia chip has a setting for ide, ahci, or diable. It was set to ide. I changed to ahci and rebooted. Well, uhoh, it would not boot. I did not try to troubleshoot that. I shut down and connected the dvd to the first sata 2 port. That does work, at least it is recognized and will play a video dvd. But, now that nice little pop up window that asks 'what would you like to do?' sort of, like, open with the file manager, isn't there. It would always pop up with either a blank or written disk. And, also, my clock and date display on the taskbar are slightly out of alignment. Oh, go figure, the wonders and joys of Linux. I'm going to try and burn that 15rc now. If it does not work, I'll be back to yap some more.

Return to “Hardware Support”