Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
henrybear327
Level 1
Level 1

How to install ATI Radeon 4330 Driver

Post by henrybear327 »

Hello:
I have just downloaded the driver from the official webpage. (http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.32&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=Linux+x86&keywords=&items=20)
The driver that I have downloaded was in .run file. What should I do next to install the driver? I have no idea how the .run file work.

P.S Using Linux Mint 15
nomko

Re: How to install ATI Radeon 4330 Driver

Post by nomko »

Check here: http://www.noobslab.com/2013/04/install-ati-amd-catalyst-drivers-in.html
henrybear327
Level 1
Level 1

Post by henrybear327 »

:D :D Thank you!! :D :D
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Linux Mint 15 uses a version of the X-server that is incompatible with the AMD restricted drivers for the HD 2x/3x/4x-series cards. These are known as legacy cards, and to install the driver for them from AMD, you have to "hack" your X-server to roll it back to an earlier version -- something that is not a good idea.

You would do better staying with the default Radeon driver that has already been installed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

I also recommend to stay with the default drivers and if that doesn't work, you can use Mint 13. In Mint 13, which is a long term support release, you can still get the driver from Additional Drivers.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

I'm just reposting my earlier comments here as this is a more recent query on the ati topic. Nothing has changed from this afternoon til tonight lol. The xserver version has been an issue for quite a while now and I'm sure if anything was to be done, it would already have happened. I'm just shopping for a video card now because it doesn't look like ati will do a fix for this, and I don't like the reverting to x1.12 plan at this time as I had so much trouble with the dance today
Chris.

[Re: AMD Catalyst won't install and freezing mouse

Postby qhris on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:09 pm
Hi,
I just did the dance today with the instructions here. https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx
I actually tried it a few times and it broke my system each time. (just my laptop with a ATI 4650 card, or was it a 4560, no data lost). The remove and restore instructions did not work either each time, and I tried many variations and combos after the first few attempts. Apart from becoming very good at new system installs, I did not get anywhere at all with this plan. My laptop is a HP div7, its a couple of years old, but works very well on Linux Mint. I did this dance with KDE14 and I was able to install the 13.1 legacy driver and it worked fine on this laptop. I'm not sure what changed since LM14, I don't recall having any trouble reverting to x1.12 last year. KDE 15 works great apart from the missing video driver, its a bit slower, but it just annoys me that I can't fix this issue. It looks like I may have to spring for a video card. If anyone has seen a cure, could you post it please. Meanwhile I'll do some more research. I'm not a terminal guru , but I'm good at following instructions.
Thanks
Chris]
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

People often seem to forget that Mint 13, supported until 2017, can be used without any problem on these cards, since the driver was not yet deprecated by then.
henrybear327
Level 1
Level 1

Post by henrybear327 »

Thank you guys!!
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

@AlbertP
Yeah, I know. I find though that with LM 13, I have issues with network printing that I seem to spend time straightening out. I reinstalled LM13 this morning, had an issue with the AMD 13-1 driver already, ie it wouldn't do a clean install and I ended up reverting to an older driver. Probably not much difference anyways between drivers for me. Still having issues with it running as su to adjust settings with the gui. Doing it by terminal is a bit of a pain. Right now I've been trying to setup my network printer and again its giving me grief. I had to revert back to an older hp driver to get it to work. The printing was working ok, but the scan software won't find the hp MFP. Time consuming and annoying.
What I like about the LM15, is all the software and network issues are just not there, it configured very nicely and easily with my existing network and devices. Even my evil HP MFP fell right into place with no effort at all. I think I'll just put the LM15 back on and not worry about the video driver for now. Changing the card is not feasible in this laptop either, its a major project by the looks of what I've read.
I have 6 other computers here, including my frankenmint, and they all have been updated to LM15 KDE with no issues at all. They are all n-vidia cards except for 1 desktop that has an AMD card. Its just this orphinated laptop that is being difficult this week.
I guess my next project will be to convince wifey to let me shop for a new laptop......., the most difficult upgrade of all.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You do not need the legacy (13.1) driver on Mint 13. The default driver from Additional Drivers will just work fine for you.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

Yes, I understand that, but its not what I wanted. I just ended up reinstalling the LM15, everything worked right out of the box after the install and initial update. The video is working ok with whatever the default driver is and I don't do much with this unit that requires intensive graphics. Except maybe a full colour spreadsheet on libre calc lol. Tried a couple of utubes and streamed some rt and bbc, they both worked fine and that will keep me happy when I'm travelling. I'll go with the LM15 for now because I can see a new laptop in the near future, I hope AMD isn't going to orphinate anymore video cards too soon. I would of thought that they would update it to the x1.13 because they seem to keep updating the drivers anyways. Maybe there is a hardware issue as well with the card, I'm not sure on that. That driver has had a few updates since LM14 came out, and I'm sure I'm not the only one sitting with that series of video card. If this was a desktop, I would of lifted and replaced the card a year ago, laptops are a whole other game to change out a video card. Especially if they are soldered on types.
Take care there,
Chris
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

qhris wrote:I'll go with the LM15 for now because I can see a new laptop in the near future, I hope AMD isn't going to orphinate anymore video cards too soon. I would of thought that they would update it to the x1.13 because they seem to keep updating the drivers anyways. Maybe there is a hardware issue as well with the card, I'm not sure on that. That driver has had a few updates since LM14 came out,
The updates were posted to get a few games working (after Steam got released for Linux), I don't know of any other change in the updated legacy drivers.

AMD deprecates hardware every time a new Windows release comes out. They released one driver for Windows 8 for these cards (which is preinstalled in 8, and not available for download), then deprecated them. That way they do not have to support the 2000 to 4000 series cards for any Windows versions later than 8, and that implies (at AMD, at least) that they also don't work on support for newer versions of other operating systems anymore.
Orbmiser
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Orbmiser »

Radeon HD 4350 and Radeon HD 4550 were announced on September 30, 2008
Yep still using my ati 4350 on dual displays.
Do Image Editing on darktable,Lightzone and Gimp.

No issues or lags on my KDE 14 setup even most games run fine.
Unless they are the high end AAA type titles.

But for playing movies,video's Image & Video editing seems to work fine without the need for proprietary.
Never understood all the hoops people are willing to jump thru to get latest games working.
And then an upgrade and more breaking tweaking to get it working again.

Me just dual boot with 30gb Win7 partition.
Then needing to game or a specific app no linux equivalent then still in the ballgame.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

Its just boys and their toys....
I have had definite video issues in the past (ie XPLANE, BMS Falcon) where the simulation just would not work with the supplied drivers and had to use the latest AMD or NVidia, and that was on a i7 8core desktop . I'm only having an issue with 1 video card as well, and I just looked here to see if others have the same issues and if there was a solution to the problem.
There has been more than 1 update to the HD4000 series driver in the last year, I know because I own one lol. Usually the updates aren't noticble in the performance anyways, they are quite often addressing a particular issue such as the recent upgrade for steam. I had LM14 working on the laptop quite nicely, I did the revert to x1.12 and it worked great and there were no issues. It was only after the LM15 install that things changed and I was unable to revert to x1.12.
LM15 has worked very well for me, and has even seemed to get my networking and printing issues to become non existant. This was the first time after an upgrade that I really didn't have to do any tweaking to get the house back in order here. It just gets better all the time. It doesn't look like there is a solution to the video card issue and by what I read here, there is not much hope for it either. I'm likeing the new laptop plan more and more :)
Cheers,
Chris
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

AMD (back when it was ATI) regularly updated their Linux drivers to keep up with improvements to their Windows drivers.

Then last summer, when Ubuntu 12.04.2 came out with the X-server v1.13, AMD dropped only Linux driver support; they kept Windows driver support.

They're no longer keeping their "legacy" cards in synch with their new cards, in terms of Window drivers, but they have provided some updates. They released 13.1 and later, 13.4, for Windows 8 and their HD 2x/3x/4x series cards. But, they also announced that they are NOT going to update their Linux drivers for these same cards anymore.

As to what comes with Windows 8, it is a WDDM 1.1 driver supplied by Microsoft. It can be replaced by the 13.1 or 13.4 AMD drivers -- but special tricks are involved to get it working.
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

Yeah, I was reading about that before on one of my research expeditions. Its too bad though because there are probably lots of peeps with that card too. I think I'll probably steer toward nvidia on the next purchase. I have 4 units with nvidia cards here and not once since I started using Linux have I had a problem with them. The kids puters have a lot of hours of gaming on them and now they have never ending steam and teamspeak happening, they just keep on ticking without missing a beat. My main unit has an i7-8core 3.5G with a HD7XXX series card. It took some tweaking and tuning to get that one working to handle XPLANE, I had previously ran a smaller nvidia in it and it worked with no issues. Go figure.
Chris
ronald577
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ronald577 »

Just download the amd auto detect hardware and install in your computer after that install the application and run it .It will check for the graphic card and will download the latest graphic card driver for your gpu. i hope this will solve the problem
qhris
Level 1
Level 1

Post by qhris »

ronald577 wrote:Just download the amd auto detect hardware and install in your computer after that install the application and run it .It will check for the graphic card and will download the latest graphic card driver for your gpu. i hope this will solve the problem
Ive never heard of this before. It sounds like something for windows to me. If only.........
Post a link if you can, thanks. If its true and it works, I'll be buying a lottery ticket today :)
Chris
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

ronald577 wrote:Just download the amd auto detect hardware and install in your computer after that install the application and run it .It will check for the graphic card and will download the latest graphic card driver for your gpu. i hope this will solve the problem
Yeah --- if you're running Windows ... but that doesn't run in Linux.

Return to “Hardware Support”