Remoting into brand new hard drive to install Linux

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SquidooGeek

Remoting into brand new hard drive to install Linux

Post by SquidooGeek »

Basically, I'm trying to put together a computer from parts I bought and I need to know how to remote into a brand-new hard drive with NOTHING installed on it so that I can install Linux. I don't even think it's been formated. I have a SATA-to-USB adapter. Can anybody help me with how to get my up-and-running computer to recognize the hard drive so I can install this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Remoting into brand new hard drive to install Linux

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I think you will find that most major brands of HDD are formatted in fat32 and are ready for OS installation right out of the box.

I have never built a system, but I have bought and installed quite a few new hard drives (Western Digital, Hitachi, Dell, IBM, Seagate, and Toshiba) in laptops and desktops over the years and have never had to do anything beyond installing and connecting the new drive to set up for use.

I have experience with Dell, HP, IBM, and Gateway systems and the new drive was always recognized by the BIOS on installation and accepted an OS without any problems without any involved (or simple) special setup procedures.

Try just installing the drive and starting the OS installation. It should see the drive and install with no difficulty.
CliveMcCarthy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by CliveMcCarthy »

Once all your hardware is fully hooked up, including a DVD drive, start the computer and go straight to the BIOS (press 'Del' or 'F2' depending on your BIOS) to allow booting from the DVD drive. In addition, if the BIOS is new, you may wish to engage CSM -- the Compatibility Support Module to avoid the complications of UEFI and Secure Boot.

You will then be able to boot from your Linux "Live CD" and install the OS. The Linux installer will do the rest.
First program written in Algol for a KDF9 (just look up KDF9 on Wikipedia).
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

Yah but I'm pretty much caught in a Catch-22 here. For some-odd reason, the BIOS doesn't seem to exist on the hard drive though I do have a disc to install it (I think). Is this just not going to happen?

Edit to add: When I hook the hard drive up to my SATA-to-USB cord, I can hear the hard drive running but my working computer doesn't recognize that it's there. I know for sure that it's not the cord because I actually hooked it up to the new CD-ROM drive first and my computer recognized that one fine. Is there some kind of fix for getting my computer to recognize it?
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean that your new motherboard's BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive, or that you can't get into the BIOS? Or do you mean something else altogether?

Best way to install on a new PC, as described above, is to make a bootable USB or liveDVD, boot from it in the new computer, and install your OS. Works the same with Windows, except that installation of Mint is faster and is free.
commandrix

Post by commandrix »

I mean I can't get to the BIOS altogether. I have a disc that came with the motherboard that I suppose has the BIOS on it. I'm guessing at this point that I'm pretty much narked.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

I'm sure you know this, but I just want to make sure we're on the same page: BIOS is a hardware thing. It's responsible for the POST messages on the screen before the OS loads. Instructions would have come with the motherboard. Usually you hit F2, Del, or some other key to access it.

Some devices with Fastboot get to the OS before you can hit a key, or even before the USB is initialized, which would make it hard to get to the BIOS unless you have an old PS2 keyboard laying around. Each motherboard brand has a different method to access BIOS from Fastboot, e.g. Hold F2 while you press the power button. Fortunately it's disabled by default most of the time.

Return to “Hardware Support”