Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

'fanless' cpu

Post by tpprynn »

I have one of the once Linux-allergic Atom N2800-based netbooks. I was pleased to see the breakthrough this year when Ubuntu 13.04 almost behaved and then the KDE version of Mint 15 proved an ideal OS to stick with - everything works except a couple of hotkeys whose function I've reassigned. I'm only now seeing reference to over-heating with Mint 15 but to be honest this little laptop's fan has always been very busy, with Windows 7 and 8 and a few LXDE-based distros.

I have my suspicions that Novatech, the makers of this netbook (an N1 2800 V2), whose aftersales advice has been somewhere between useless and evasive/lazy, upgraded this netbook's CPU when its motherboard wasn't ideal. This CPU is meant to be of 'fanless' design, where V1 of this netbook had I think an N550, not itself advertised as fanless. I'd hoped prior to purchase that once I'd put my SSD in it would be great, just about silent if not entirely silent - unless I've misunderstood the notion of 'fanless'? A fan is still present and working and despite reading up I seem to be unable to get the fan to calm down a bit.

I've looked inside when upgrading the ram and fitting the SSD and their is a thin aluminuum sheet screwed in which I imagine limits conductivity of heat but which also is screwed to the HD caddy. There is a piece of gummy heatsink material actually _in-between_ the top of the sheet and the keyboard, but no material was used on the CPU itself.

Does anyone have a view of this machine as I describe it? The company assembles the laptops in this country but going by replies I got from them they are a little bit in the dark - not that I'm not too - regarding the components. Anyone here use an N2600-based netbook and able to say how its fan behaves if present? Most of the last bunch of netbooks seemed to have the N2600, seldom the N2800. (Sorry, I'm even boring myself as I type... :) )

(I did consider not naming the company but having been so dissatisfied with the replies I got from technical staff it feels ethically correct. It's good that they supply machines without an OS but this seems geared up to people with a Windows license really, as they do not get into much Linux talk if you engage them.)

When trying to grapple with Linux methods of controlling the fan there was reference to pwmconfig, which doesn't seem to have been present in the repositories. Some of the things I read about seem to be outdated. The setting up of the relevant programs seemed also quite perilous regarding inadvertantly causing over-heating ourselves. My other question therefore is what else can I do to calm the fan down?

Sorry this isn't short and simple.

Thanks.

tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 'fanless' cpu

Post by tpprynn »

Can it be anything to do with sensors3.conf? This seems to have some similar content to fancontrol which is not working as it finds no pwm module. (I added coretemp to no avail.)

At present my laptop will be using something which presumably has a .conf somewhere? Is there a default program Mint or Mint KDE uses for fan control or a way of finding out what's being used in the terminal?

There is no BIOS setting for the fan, it's a very minimal BIOS. Software can still override BIOS though in this area?

Thanks.

Return to “Hardware Support”