Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
noniespclinux22
Level 1
Level 1

Dell 1525 wireless driver not working after LMDE update

Post by noniespclinux22 »

Hello,

My dell 1525 wireless is no longer working after upgrading my LMDE to debian 3.10.5-1

I went to the wireless drivers and recommended to install firmware-b43-lpphy-installer but it gave me an error that it cannot find the package and displays not a candidate release. So I tried the other one broadcom-sta-dkms and still my wireless driver is not detected.

So i went to the synaptic manager and installed all the b43 drivers that used to work to my previous debian and none of them detected my wireless card. It used to work before I upgraded it to the latest debian version.

Any suggestions to solve this problem. Greatful if u can respond asap.

Thanks and regards,
Nonie

Makoto
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dell 1525 wireless driver not working after LMDE update

Post by Makoto »

what is the exact name of the wifi chipset as it appears in lspci?

noniespclinux22
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Here's the wireless card executing lspci

0b:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

I have tried all the broadcom drivers available even using the synaptic manager, still it doesn't work.

Please help.

Thanks and regards,
Nonie

Makoto
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Makoto »

Broadcom 43xx wireless is supported in the kernel. Compile a new kernel and specify that you want to include the Broadcom 43xx wireless drivers.

Let me know how it goes :D

jlane01
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jlane01 »

The 4312 works best with the broadcom-sta drivers. I know that with the 3.10 kernal a patch was needed to get the driver to compile on gentoo & slackware. Broadcom also released a new version of their drivers. http://www.broadcom.com/support/802.11/linux_sta.php

It looks like there's a bug report filed http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=716999

I use xfce, not LMDE so I'm not sure how to get it installed in debian. I hope the links I provided can at least help.

noniespclinux22
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Dell 1525 wireless driver not working after LMDE upda

Hello

It seems the problem was fixed. After I did another update, the file firmware-b43-lpphy-installer was installed in my system. It may have been part of the upgrade package that was not included on the initial major debian update. It works now. Thanks for your support guys.

Return to “Hardware Support”