Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Nvidia Radeon

Post by stanley82 »

I've given up trying to make my Nvidia 8500GT behave as it should on mint15 and debian. I got a Radeon HD6450 and that would not work on any distro. I added the boot option "vga=771" to get it to live boot and work great on MintDebian but Mint15 is dead in the water. Garbage or blank screen. I'd prefer to use Mint15 as Debian keeps messing me about and I'm spending lots and lots of time with silly things like GtkTerm permission denied opening /dev/ttys0. Never had that problem before, maybe i should run as root. Any way the Mint team seem to be able to do everything or most everything right IF ONLY THEY COULD GET IT ALL INTO ONE DISTRO. Ian.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Nvidia Radeon

Post by karlchen »

Hello, stanley82.

I admit I cannot offer you a solution for Mint 15, based on Ubntu 13.04, because I do not use it.

Yet, I can tell you that on Mint 13, based on Ubuntu 12.04, the NVidia GeForce 8500GT graphics card has worked fine from the first day of installation until now. I have always used the recommended proprietary NVidia graphics driver from the Ubuntu repositories. Currently this is nvidia319.32.

So in case you do not insist on using the latest Mint edition, but are prepared to use a Mint LTS edition (long term support till April 2017), then I can recommend Mint 13 plus NVidia driver software nvidia319.32.

Just my 2 cents, not the solution that you are looking for maybe.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Beardedragon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Beardedragon »

Did you install Mint 15 before or after changing to the ATI Card? My HP came with ATI Radeon HD3000 and I did not even need a proprietary driver when I installed Mint 15. You get the 3D by running the Compositor, either Gnome or Xfce.
Robert Collard, Madison, WI
Linux Mint 19.2 Tina Kernel: 4.15.0-55
Desktop System: HP EliteDesk 705 G1 SFF
CPU: Quad Core model: AMD A10-6800K APU
NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 720] nvidia v: 340.107
Acer Technologies 24" 1920 x 1080
stanley82
Level 2
Level 2

Post by stanley82 »

Just to clarify, my Nvidia 8500gt was sort of working on Mint13. Using the pcb program it took a long time to load an existing layout, Mint15 loading the pcb layout gave a blank screen. Mint15 is fine on my laptop, worked straight out of the plastic wrapper. This laptop has a radion HD6310 video system. Using pcb on the laptop it could instantly load the pcb layout and convinced me to get another video card the HD6450. OKay, OKay new set of difficulties.
Live boot on ANY distro bad screen, blank or usually a garbage mosaic of pixels.
Debian mint needs the vga=771 to live boot and run and that's what I'm using and its video is great.
Debian wheezy need vga=791 works but fails to give the 1600 : 900 screen I get with Debian mint.
Knoppix 7.0.5 needs vga=771 again low resolution, vga=791 gives left half of screen on right and right on left, move mouse off screen on right and it appears on the left side.
This vga=771 is derived from vesafb.txt with hex 2 dec conversion. Strange because it's only intended to apply in the early boot stage.
Mint 15 I have yet to find a way to live boot. I suspect the way things are going wrong with debianmint that there are fights between the Wheezy side and Mint side and I'm the looser. Also update Debian Mint killed me once and I'm not keen to die again. Ian.

Return to “Hardware Support”