Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
websmoken
Level 1
Level 1

Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Postby websmoken » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:34 pm

When I'm booting up, right after the set-up screen it stops with the cursor blinking in upper left corner with thumbdrive inserted. If I wait & plug it in after "Grub Loading" It boots great & drive is recognized.

If I boot into windows everything is OK. Well the windows part isn't. :mrgreen: If I try to boot from windows into Linux it won't boot either.

It never has booted with drive inserted in any of the installs I've had to make :( .

miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Shouldn't You Be Able To Boot With USB Thumbdrive Inserted?

Postby miket » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:07 am

Hi !

websmoken wrote:When I'm booting up, right after the set-up screen it stops with the cursor blinking in upper left corner with thumbdrive inserted. If I wait & plug it in after "Grub Loading" It boots great & drive is recognized.

If I boot into windows everything is OK. Well the windows part isn't. :mrgreen: If I try to boot from windows into Linux it won't boot either.

It never has booted with drive inserted in any of the installs I've had to make :( .

Check your BIOS settings, it may be set to boot from USB devices in which case it will be looking for an O/S on that thumbdrive ...
If you change the boot order and put USB devices after the internal hard drive it may fix the problem.

Mike.

websmoken
Level 1
Level 1

Postby websmoken » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:03 am

Heres The Set-up:

1st boot device [ Hard drive group ]
2nd boot device [ Floppy group ]
3rd boot device [ CD Rom group ]
4th boot device [ Network boot group ]

Floppy group boot priority [ Not installed ]
CD Rom group boot priority [ 3M-HP DVD Writer ]
HDD group boot priority [ PM-ST3200B22AS ]
Network Group boot priority [ Not installed ]

I have a 500G USB backup drive that is always plugged in, so I swapped it with the thumbdrive and still didn't boot. I've tried the drive in all the USB ports. :(

websmoken
Level 1
Level 1

Postby websmoken » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 pm

The reason it won't boot with thumbdrive inserted is in the BIOS setting (advanced) theirs something called "USB Legacy Mode Support" 3 selections "auto", "enabled", & "disabled" it was set to "auto". I changed it to "Disabled" & it boots. Set to "enabled" it doesn't boot either.

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Return to “Hardware Support”