Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Dimitriy
Level 1
Level 1

Mir or Wayland in Mint

Post by Dimitriy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 am

I'm sorry for my English. (http://translate.google.com)

I'm worried about one question:

In ubuntu is the introduction of the graphics systems: "Mir". I think her appearance on the background of active and effective work on "Wayland", is not a good solution. Mint is based on packet-based Ubuntu. What is the graphics system will be the one used in distributions Mint?

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mir or Wayland in Mint

Post by clfarron4 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:46 am

http://www.muktware.com/2013/03/clement-lefebvre-mir-has-nothing-to-do-with-linux-mint/4104

Basically, I think they will stay with X for the next few releases and then make the decision based on what looks best at the time,
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

HardyH
Level 2
Level 2

Post by HardyH » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am

Xorg forever, no intel deveoped or unity optimized mobile device focussing display servers which aim at killing linux on the desktop will be used on my systems, even if I have to abandon linux
H.

js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Post by js3915 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:08 pm

HardyH wrote:Xorg forever, no intel deveoped or unity optimized mobile device focussing display servers which aim at killing linux on the desktop will be used on my systems, even if I have to abandon linux
H.
X is really really dated and there good things in Wayland and Mir to help the linux community as a whole. Personally i think Wayland will be better but more than likely if Mint follows ubuntu theyll go with Mir similar to Upstart vs SystemD. But if you want to run Wayland im sure you can

drewdlekins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drewdlekins » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:36 pm

js3915 wrote:
HardyH wrote:Xorg forever, no intel deveoped or unity optimized mobile device focussing display servers which aim at killing linux on the desktop will be used on my systems, even if I have to abandon linux
H.
X is really really dated and there good things in Wayland and Mir to help the linux community as a whole. Personally i think Wayland will be better but more than likely if Mint follows ubuntu theyll go with Mir similar to Upstart vs SystemD. But if you want to run Wayland im sure you can
I second this. I don't think you'll ever have to "abandon" Linux. That's the beauty of these things; use what you want to use. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is in turn based on Ubuntu, so I'm certain that Wayland will be an option when it's ready. Mir won't be forced on you. Look at what an amazing project Cinnamon has turned into. That likely would not have happened if Gnome 3 hadn't been forced upon us. Sometimes adversity is a wonderful thing.
~ Drewdlekins ~

Dell Inspiron 1525 - C2D T7300, 3Gb - Mint 16 RC Cinnamon x86
Acer V3 - i5 3210M, 8Gb - Mint 15 XFCE x64

Return to “Hardware Support”