Mounting Android Tablets

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danbar
Level 2
Level 2

Mounting Android Tablets

Post by danbar »

I thought it was just plug and play connecting a tablet with Mint 13. It wasn't. I found out this website where there are problems with the ppa (http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-mount-android-40-ubuntu-go-mtpfs.html). Then I found out another website which calls for mtpfs (http://www.unixmen.com/connect-your-android-galaxy-tablet-to-ubuntu-via-usb/) Yet the result was negative. Anybody successful in connecting a tablet via usb?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
timothyp

Re: Mounting Android Tablets

Post by timothyp »

I havent had any issues connecting my devices (4 tablets and two phones) to Linux Mint 15. Everything works fine. When you plug it in, on the the device, you will get a notification. Open the notification and switch to MTP. Im not sure how well it works with Mint 13. With Ubuntu, it started working properly with 12.04.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

What type(s) of files are you having trouble transferring to/from your tablet? Also, is your tablet's Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later, or is it 3.x or earlier? Android 4.x requires MTP file transfer for USB connection and is limited in the types of files which can be transferred. With the best MTP drivers, you will be able to transfer media files, and some other data types, but cannot be used to synchronize apps, and is reported to possibly have problems transferring to/from an installed memory card and may block transfer to internal memory with a memory card installed.

Memory cards are best synchronized with a separate adapter on your computer.
bartvberkel

Post by bartvberkel »

I am trying to connect a Nexus 7 with android 4.4 But that won't work. I don't get the option of 'sharing data'. It just seems to automatically choose for a power charging only connection. It sucks because I am trying to write my first android app (nothing to serious, just "hello world" stuff) and those need to be tested on a device. My phone with android 2.3.5 is not suitable for developing either, because eclipse does not recognize it. However it is able to make a data sharing connection and I can browse the phone's memory (including the 8gb msd card).

Any suggestions here? I have a freshly installed mint 15 (x86 64bit). No extraś have been added. I'm reading things like mtp and stuff, but I have no idea what that is or where to get it. please help.

---------------------
CPU~Quad core Intel Core i7-4770 CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at Min:800.000Mhz Max:3401.000Mhz Kernel~3.8.0-19-generic x86_64 Up~11 min Mem~576.6/7864.4MB HDD~320.1GB(8.1% used) Procs~197 Client~Shell inxi~1.8.4
MachineDojo

Post by MachineDojo »

LM15 worked fine on my Nexus 7(2013) though that was before I got the 4.4 update, I'm running LM16 now with the same tablet on 4.4 and it works "fine"... in MTP mode I run into issues where it pretends to stall but if I give it enough time to upload the files it actually finishes. Same results on my Samsung GS2 running an older version of cyanogenmod.

Just in case, if you go to your settings>storage area on the tablet, click those 3 dots in the top right corner and go to USB Computer Connection and make sure the proper mode is selected that you want or need. I just tested it without MTP selected and it only charges as well. I don't really know what you need, but you might need to check if USB debugging is needed/enabled for what you're doing.
danbar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danbar »

cwsnyder wrote:What type(s) of files are you having trouble transferring to/from your tablet? Also, is your tablet's Android version 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) or later, or is it 3.x or earlier? Android 4.x requires MTP file transfer for USB connection and is limited in the types of files which can be transferred. With the best MTP drivers, you will be able to transfer media files, and some other data types, but cannot be used to synchronize apps, and is reported to possibly have problems transferring to/from an installed memory card and may block transfer to internal memory with a memory card installed.

Memory cards are best synchronized with a separate adapter on your computer.
Thanks for replying. It was android 4.4. It's not mine (tablet). But the person wanted to share a video file with me but the laptop couldn't recognize the tablet. I did the installation (see previous posts) but I still had negative results.
cwsnyder

Post by cwsnyder »

I just hooked up my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 tablet with Android 4.2.2 to my Linux Mint 16 Mate desktop. It complained initially about not being able to open the device, but I am able to see all media files now from Caja now. I tried to see if there were any USB settings to change, but I was unsuccessful in finding any.

[edit]I forgot to mention, with LM16 I did not add any MTPFS applications.
Last edited by cwsnyder on Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I had the same issue with my tablet for testing apps I made on.
Make sure you have the sdk installed.
Then you must start the adb as root.
example from the terminal
make sure the link is to your adb (in androids sdk/platform-tools/)
sudo /home/whardirectorynameis/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130514/sdk/platform-tools/adb kill-server
sudo /home/whardirectorynameis/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130514/sdk/platform-tools/adb start-server

This kills the adb as root then restart it as root.
Then see if it read your device
sudo /home/whardirectorynameis/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130514/sdk/platform-tools/adb devices

It should read your device now as long as you have usb debugging on the tablet set also.
if you go into eclipse after setting the adb as root and start it that way you'll be able to test your apps on it now and it should appear on the list (especially for bartvberkel trying to create your first apps).
If you see:
???????????? no permissions
it didn't work try killing the adb server through the terminal and restarting it again as root or sudo
I found I had to close eclipse first then start the adb as sudo (kill it first in case it's started then restart it again as sudo then open eclipse.
If you have more then one device plugged in use
sudo /home/whardirectorynameis/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130514/sdk/platform-tools/adb -d devices
to see if they are being viewed.
lsusb
will also show devices

To copy files from your computer to your device you need to run the following command, the first part is the location in your computer of what you want to send, and the second part is where you want it to be in your device: Example:

sudo /home/whatthedirectorynameis/adt-bundle-linux-x86_64-20130514/sdk/platform-tools/adb push /home/whatthedirectorynameis/Desktop/theneb.jpg /mnt/extsd/theneb.jpg
or in short: adb push /what-you-want-to-copy /where-you-want-it
To copy files from your device to your computer you run the next command, it’s mostly the same except the first bit is the location in your device and the second in your computer:
adb pull /what-you-want-to-copy /where-you-want-it

Hope this helps some of you out, I had the same issue and this solved it for me.

The is also mounting which I never bothered with since I use eclipse or just shove files over through the adb itself so I haven't tested mounting yet but this is one snippet I found for mounting it (never tried it so don't blame me if it don't work :lol:
to mount it
pmount /dev/sdb yourdevicename
to unmount it
pumount yourdevicename

Have fun and hopes it solves some issues here, I use lmde and it worked for me using the adb.
Sam
denzil

Post by denzil »

I recently bought myself a Google Nexus 7. I just installed gmtp, and that seems to work fine to browse files on the tablet.
danbar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by danbar »

Thanks for all the support. The challenge is that I have to use the tablet at work as I don't have one at home, so the time for experimenting is very restricted!

Return to “Hardware Support”