Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
silversuds
Level 1
Level 1

Wacom stylus won't map to primary monitor w GUI, Mint 16 Cin

Postby silversuds » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:45 pm

By using the gnome-control-center Wacom GUI on Mint 16 Cinnamon i'm unable to successfully map the stylus input to a single monitor as I was able to with Mint 15 Cinnamon.
The only solution I found is a temporary one... as the terminal commands don't stick upon reboot.
Step 1: terminal xrandr (note primary display name, in this case "LVDS1")
Step 2: terminal xinput --list (note stylus & eraser name)
Step 3: xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos3 4x6 stylus" MapToOutput LVDS1
Step 4: xsetwacom set "Wacom Intuos3 4x6 eraser" MapToOutput LVDS1
unfortunately (and by design) xsetwacom commands don't stick upon reboot...

So I then dove into Dconf Editor (GUI) to org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.wacom and found that when I use the gnome-control-center Wacom GUI to configure the stylus mapping, the settings are correctly reflected... they just don't appear to function?

I imagine a script could be run to set xsetwacom correctly upon system start, but i prefer to use a GUI as I did with Mint 15 Cinnamon.
(Also, I'm afraid pressure settings also likely do not work in both the Wacom GUI and Dconf... so I would need to xsetwacom them too) :(

Helpful assistance greatly appreciated! :)

silversuds
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wacom stylus won't map to primary monitor w GUI, Mint 16

Postby silversuds » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 am

I've noticed that general GUI settings such as brightness and lock's settings aren't working either... I turned lock off and the password requirement for wake from suspend off and still a password dialog appears when waking. :( help?

silversuds
Level 1
Level 1

Postby silversuds » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:56 am

I found the problem, Cinnamon 2 is not compatible with the gnome control center anymore. Cinnamon is now independent and doesn't share as much (if anything) with gnome anymore...
So essentially Cinnamon 2 kills the gnome wacom GUI without providing an alternative GUI. My only option now is to downgrade to Mint 15 Cinnamon... :( (unless someone knows of a Wacom GUI I can install that's Cinnamon 2 compatible?)

Erkhyan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Erkhyan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:33 am

Same problem here. Even with LM 15 Olivia, the lack of a working Wacom GUI was the one only reason for me not to use Cinnamon. It has become even more so now that the workaround of using the gnome control center doesn't even work in Cinnamon 2.0 anymore.

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:12 pm

I reported the issue on github here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/2686
and on segfault here: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/10/c ... mment-4097
so you folks can keep track hopefully someone will fix this, I just purchased the intuos 5 so this is a deal breaker for me, I need my tablet for my work :(
Might have to go to kde or xfce again, more then likely kde since it has katria anyhow but I really love lmde with cinnamon.
I am still using cinnamon 1.8.8 so it still works for me but soon as the upgrade comes and with no fix I'll be forced to move on unless a fix is found or one created by someone.
If not I'll be on SolydK at least it's a rolling release and nice. I use it now on my 32bit and works great.
Sam
Edit: found this on github but have not tested it yet as I am on lmde and using cinnamon 1.8.8 still but thought it might be interesting for you folks
https://github.com/leigh123linux/cinnam ... ig-storage
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

samriggs
Level 6
Level 6

Postby samriggs » Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:22 pm

Alrighty mtwebster went nuts and made the gui and put the driver in for cinnamon 2 now, they just you to test it, as they do not own a tablet themselves.
So head over to: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2013/12/c ... s-testing/
It is all explained how to get the gui and drivers for cinnamon 2 (or mint 16) start testing it and help mtwebster out by reporting any bugs you might find, it should work out of the box but as I said they don't have a tablet to test themselves so they need you to help them out, and if you own a tablet you need this gui and drivers unless you want to do it the hard way.
Thanks folks
and much kudos goes out to mtwebster for this one
Sam
"Windows: the worst system for the most money, Linux: the best system for free"
Registered Linux User #545430
Manjaro XFCE / Mint Cinnamon
asus X751LX and an acer and a toshiba and another asus

Return to “Hardware Support”