Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
orkultus
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia-Prime isn't working in Linux Mint 16

Post by orkultus »

So i have been having a issue with installing nvidia-prime in Linux Mint 16 32bit. The issue is that, after installing the nvidia-drivers, nvidia-prime, and lightdm (required by nvidia-prime)..i restart my computer, and when it gets to the login screen, the monitor goes black..and the hard drive light just periodicly stutters. I think Xorg is being loaded. Although i did read some things about how Nvidia-prime might be keeping Lightdm from starting. I have a Acer Aspire V3-771G, with a Nvidia GT 640M 2gb. It has the Intel hd4000 integrated graphics card as well. I had it working well in 15 for a long time, but then after trying to update to 16. It didn't work anymore. I have spent over 6 straight hours trying to figure this out, and i dont know what is causing this to happen. I dont want to use Bumblebee again.

Has anyone had issues installing nvidia-prime on Linux Mint 16? Has anyone gotten it to work right?

Thanks!

-Orkultus-

http://orkultus.wordpress.com

orkultus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Nvidia-Prime isn't working in Linux Mint 16

Post by orkultus »

Also..Nvidia-detector...doesn't even show i have a Nvidia Card. It just says none

Loranga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loranga »

Hi, I can confirm this bug on Linux Mint 16 MATE 64 bit. I tried to change back to mdm, but no improvement. When I remove nvidia-prime X starts again.

orkultus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by orkultus »

I believe this bug is related to the bug that is going on with LightDM, not loading after Xorg has started. Many people have already filed this as a bug, but it has been marked as a "Medium" Priority. The error that shows up during the boot process right about the time it should be loading Xorg says this "startpar bridge for notification of upstart job Start/Stop"...and it just repeats that, forever. I think Lightdm needs to be fixed in order for nvidia-prime to fully function.

Loranga
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Loranga »

Is this a bug in Ubuntu 13.10 as well?

dragon2611
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dragon2611 »

http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/install ... er-in.html

Try that

On mine i thhen had to hit the Cog/icon next to the username and select cinnamon otherwise I got no desktop.

I also found this helpful in trying to get my 2nd screen working http://negativo17.org/complex-setup-wit ... dora-19-2/

My /etc/X11/Xorg.conf

Code: Select all

# Warning: This file is autogenerated by nvidia-prime. All changes to this file will be lost.

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "layout"
    Screen 0 "nvidia"
    Inactive "intel"
EndSection

Section "Device"
 Option "ConstrainCursor" "no"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Driver "nvidia"
    BusID "1:0:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    Device "nvidia"
    # Uncomment this line if your computer has no display devices connected to
    # the NVIDIA GPU.  Leave it commented if you have display devices
    # connected to the NVIDIA GPU that you would like to use.
    # Option "UseDisplayDevice" "none"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    #Driver "modesetting"
Driver "intel"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "intel"
    Device "intel"
EndSection
Now if I could just get my monitor positioning correct :| Everytime I try and relocate my HDMI connected display to tell it it's actually to the left of the inbult one it crashes Xorg
I also cannot seem to make it use the laptop screen as the primary

Edit:

Forgot to say not sure
sudo apt-get install -y lightdm gnome-settings-daemon indicator-session ubuntu-mono unity- gnome-control-center- light-themes unity-greeter/saucy
is correct

I think it should be

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y lightdm gnome-settings-daemon indicator-session ubuntu-mono unity gnome-control-center light-themes unity-greeter/saucy

Return to “Hardware Support”