Questions about hardware,drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

TV Tuner Card for Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by nsivin »

I have just spent an hour searching fruitfully for the answer to a simple question: What is a TV tuner card that will work unproblematically with MythTV on Mint 16 Cinnamon (setukp below). I have found lots of articles 8 or 10 years old, or long lists of cards that are supposed to work. I can't test them, so all I need is one up-to-date recommendation for a card that is still available. It doesn't need to be the cheapest, but it doesn't heed to have any high-end features either. I need only one channel at a time. I want to be able to record TV on a rewritable DVD disk, but don't demand that I watch another channel while one is recording. I need only digital TV.
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: TV Tuner Card for Mint 16 Cinnamon

Post by MartyMint »

nsivin wrote:I have just spent an hour searching fruitfully for the answer to a simple question: What is a TV tuner card that will work unproblematically with MythTV on Mint 16 Cinnamon (setukp below). I have found lots of articles 8 or 10 years old, or long lists of cards that are supposed to work. I can't test them, so all I need is one up-to-date recommendation for a card that is still available. It doesn't need to be the cheapest, but it doesn't heed to have any high-end features either. I need only one channel at a time. I want to be able to record TV on a rewritable DVD disk, but don't demand that I watch another channel while one is recording. I need only digital TV.

The Hauppauge HVR's...or most of them at least.
nsivin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by nsivin »

I bought a Hauppauge HVR-1250 ATSC tuner that the maker of my computer recommended, and it didn't work at all. That's why I need to know the name of a card that someone has found reliable with Mint 15 or 16 Cinnamon.

If there is a high-quality alternative, I'd prefer not to buy a Hauppauge card, since they provide no driver and offer no help (or even encouragement) to Linux users.

Here's my setup, which I forgot to include above:

End PC Noise custom Media PC
AMD A8-3850 2.9GHz quad-core CPU
4GB Kingston PC3 RAM
2 Intel 520 series 120GB SATA III SSD
Lenovo 24” pivot monitor
Northgate Omnikey Ultra keyboard
------------------
Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
nsivin@sas.upenn.edu
www.ccat.sas.upenn.edu/~nsivin
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

The 1250 works out-of-the-box. Here's the Wiki:
http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/H ... V-HVR-1250

What was your set-up?
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kwisher »

The MythTV Wiki is a good source of know tuners that have Linux support.
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Category:Hardware
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
Hitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hitchhiker »

It depends on your location and your TV service. The Hauppauge HVR-1250 works only for digital TV in Linux. In Windows it uses software to convert analog TV. For analog TV in Linux the Hauppauge HVR-2250 works as it has a hardware converter. It does require downloading and installing additional firmware for use in Linux, but it should work. It also does digital TV as well but still requires the Linux firmware I believe. In the USA broadcast TV is digital. Some cable and satellite TV still has some analog service. For only digital TV the 1250 works best and is the easiest to use. You can try me-tv or Kaffeine. Kaffeine is is a front end for Xine and Xine should work but I haven't had luck without Kaffeine. I prefer me-tv and it a much small application. I tried MythTV briefly but I didn't have much luck with it but I didn't spend much time to configure it.
Hitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hitchhiker »

When scanning for channels with me-tv I use both USA and Canada to get the most channels but it still misses some of my local channels. There is suppose to be a way to add channels manually but I haven't bothered trying yet. The 1250 is a single receiver and the more expensive 2250, besides more expensive hardware is also a dual receiver. With it you can watch one channel while recording another. The 1250 won't do that as it receives only one channel at a time.
Hitchhiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hitchhiker »

I use the 1250 card to record TV. Note that the remote control (if included) doesn't work for Linux. There are a few other computer remote controls that do work in Linux though. I use the keyboard and mouse for now. I use me-tv to record broadcast TV on the hard drive and then I transfer the videos I want on DVD to DVD. I haven't figured out MythTV yet though.

Return to “Hardware Support”